Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé’s silver collection set a new world auction record for any silver sale, and 100% of the works sold to an audience of over 1,000 people. The sale totalled €19,882,375. A truly international group of collectors responded positively to these museum-quality pieces and numerous world records were established. There was fierce bidding in particular for the collection of Hanover cups, which alone totalled €6,134,000, said Anthony Phillips, International Director, and Marine de Cenival, Director of the silver department.

4

Lot 210. The Osterode cup, a German silver-gilt quadruple cup, 1649, maker's mark of Christoph Uder, Osterode. Hauteur: 56 cm. (22 in.); 1556 gr. (54.84 oz). Estimate €100,000 - 150,000. Sold €853,000 / £759,170 / $1,103,697 to the Galerie J. Kugel. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

Sur base trilobée à décor de trophée de fruits et de coquilles, le fût illustrant Eve donnant la pomme à Adam, tous deux tenus par une ceinture gravée et appliquée de fleurs, les branches de l'arbre appliquées de pommes et fleurs polychromes soutenant trois coupes en grappe de raisin, les trois couvercles joints à la prise centrale en forme de coupe, l'ensemble des couvercles avec prise en bouquets de fleurs peints, gravée sur l'ombilic d'une inscription et de l'initiale O surmontée d'une couronne, poinçons sur la base et sur le bord de chaque coupe.

ProvenanceProbable cadeau de la ville d'Osterode pour Georg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705) suite à son accession à la tête du duché en 1648. 
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 127, référencée sous le titre:

4 wine-cups with lids to be distinguished as follows
No 1 Below this cup is "Town of Osterode, 1649"
6 (marks) 6 (ounces) 9/10 (lot)

Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. III, no. 4361, dans les collection du Herzog von Cumberland à Vienne. 
H. Grandsart, " Les Coupes des Hanovre ", Connaissance des Arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p.10.

ExhibitedExposition, Goldschmiedekunst-Austellung, Vienne, 1889, no. 246. 

Note: En 1649, la ville d'Osterode se trouve dans le duché de Calenberg-Göttingen sous le contrôle de Georg-Wilhelm.
Ces quadruples coupes sont assez rares. Il existe trois autres exemples similaires, dont deux en moins bon état de conservation, toutes exécutées par Georg Müller dans les années 1640. L'une est conservée au palais des Armures à Moscou (voir B.Shifman et G. Walton, Gifts to the Tsars, 1500-1700, New York, 2001, p. 117, fig. 7), mais n'a plus son couvercle; une autre est au Germanisches Nationalmuseum de Nuremberg (voir Wenzel Jamnitzer und die Nürnberger Goldschmiedekunst 1500-1700, Munich, 1985, p. 287, no. 144) et présente des manques; enfin la dernière est dans une collection privée et est illustrée dans M. Bachtler, Goldschmiedekunst Westfliche-Privatsammlung, 1986, p.66.

On trefoil lobed base repoussé and chased with fruit and shells, the stem formed as Eve handing the apple to Adam, the serpent descending from the branches, the figures held in place by a strap applied and engraved with flowers, the tree's branches with polychrome apples and flowers, the three grape-shaped cups with covers joined to a smaller central cup, each with polychrome vase of flower finial, engraved on foot with inscription and initial O beneath a crown, marked on foot and border

The inscription reads 'STADT OSTERODA 1649' which translates as City of Osterode 1649.

In 1649, the city of Osterode was part of the Duchy of Calenberg-Göttingen, ruled by Georg-Wilhelm.
Such quadruple cups are very rare. Three other examples all made by Georg Müller, Nuremberg, in the 1640s are recorded: one in the Armoury Museum, the Kremlin, Moscow which appears to have lost its cover (B.Shifman et G. Walton eds., Gifts to the Tsars, 1500-1700, New York, 2001, p. 117, fig. 7), one in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg (Wenzel Jamnitzer und die Nürnberger Goldschmiedekunst 1500-1700, Munich, 1985, p. 287, no. 144) which is also incomplete, and one in a private collection (M. Bachtler, Goldschmiedekunst Westfliche-Privatsammlung, 1986, p.66)

1

Lot 157. A rare Silesian parcel-gilt model of Chronos supporting an armillary sphere, circa 1630, maker's mark of Jakob Mannlinch, Troppau (Opava). Hauteur: 34,5 cm. (13½ in.), 1002 gr. (35.35 oz.)Estimate €200,000 - 300,000. Sold €781,000/ £695,090 / $1,010,536 to an anonymous. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

Sur base ovale à décor de masques auriculaires encadrant des cartouches repoussés de scènes allégoriques, l'ombilic à décor d'oves sur fond amati, la terrasse appliquée d'une salamandre et d'une grenouille, Chronos tenant d'une main sa faux et de l'autre la sphère armillaire composée de deux méridiens, deux cercles polaires, les tropiques et l'équateur, un méridien gravé et divisé avec les signes du zodiaque et leur représentation graduée par deux degrés et numérotée par dix, un axe central supportant une sphère représentant la Terre, surmonté d'un cadran avec deux fois les chiffres 1 à 12, poinçons sur la base, dont les marques de contrôle austro-hongrois de 1806

ProvenanceCollection Louis Laroche-Ringwald, Bâle.
Vente, Paris, 17 avril-16 juin 1893, Catalogue des objets d'art et de haute curiosité antiques, du moyen-âge et de la Renaissance composant l'importante et précieuse Collection Spitzer, dont la vente publique aura lieu à Paris 33, rue de Villejuste, du lundi 17 avril au vendredi 16 juin 1893, vol. III, p. 29, lot 1778.
Collection I et S Goldschmidt.
Collection Nathan M.T Sondheimer.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris.

LiteratureF. Spitzer, la collection Spitzer: Antiquités-Moyen Âge-Renaissance, Paris, 1890-1892, vol. III, p. 29, no. 79.
Référencé dans le M. Rosenberg, op. cit., vol. IV, numéro 9383 d) avec indication: vente Fréderic Spitzer, Paris, 1893, Vol. III, pg. 29, no. 79.

ExhibitedExposition Troppau, 1904, catalogue illustré 67. 

NoteJakob Mannlich originaire d'Augsbourg, émigre à Troppau (maintenant Opava en République Tchèque) en 1628 où il s'installe comme orfèvre. Heinrich Mannlich probablement son fils, lui-même né à Troppau, deviendra membre de la corporation des orfèvres d'Augsbourg en 1658.

La sphère armillaire est une réplique à petite échelle de l'univers. Composée d'anneaux (Armillae en latin) et d'un cercle pour le zodiaque, elle représente les mouvements célestes autour de la Terre et marque la progression annuelle du soleil en ellipse.
Son usage remonte à l'Antiquité et les premiers exemples connus datent du Moyen Age. Cependant, c'est au XVIème et XVIIème sièclesque sa fabrication connaît son apogée et que la sphère devient l'emblème des instruments scientifiques. Des pièces élaborées et à but décoratif ont été également conçues pour les collections princières et ces sphères armillaires sont rapidement devenues le symbole de l'astronomie dans les peintures et les gravures de l'époque. 

On oval base, the border repoussé and chased with auricular masks framing cartouches with allegorical scenes with arcading above, the stem formed as Chronos, standing on a terrace applied with a salamander and a frog, holding his scythe with his left hand and supporting with his bowed neck and his right hand, an armillary sphere composed of two meridians, two polar circles, tropics and equator, with a finely engraved meridian, divided into the houses of the Zodiac with their pictorial representations and symbols graduated by 2 degrees, and numbered by 10, a central axis bearing a sphere for the Earth, capped with an hour circle engraved 1-12 twice, marked on base including an Austro-Hungarian control mark for 1806

Jakob Mannlich born in Augsburg moved to Troppau (now Opava in the Czech republic) in 1628 where he became a goldsmith, although he seems to have maintained his links with Augsburg. Heinrich Mannlich, probably his son born in Troppau, returned to his father's hometown and registered there as a goldsmith in 1658.

The armillary sphere is a demonstrational model of the universe. Composed of several rings (Armillae in Latin) and a band for the Zodiac, it represents the apparent movement of the celestial sphere around the Earth and marks the Sun's annual progress around the ecliptic.
Their use can be traced back to antiquity and the handful of earliest extant examples date from the Middle Ages. But it was in the 16th and 17th centuries that their construction reached a peak and they became such iconic instruments of science. Elaborate and decorative examples were made for princely collections and they became symbolic of astronomy in paintings and engravings of the time.

2

Lot 207. The Bodendick table-fountain, a rare German parcel-gilt table-fountain, maker's mark of Evert Kettwyck, Hamburg, circa 1630, and with his assaymaster's mark (1628-1643). Hauteur : 56,5 cm. (22¼ in.); Poids brut : 3184 gr. (112.30 oz.). Estimate €100,000 - 150,000. Sold €721,000 / £641,690/ $932,902 to the Galerie J. Kugel. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

Sur base quadrilobée fondue de dauphins, le réservoir sphérique gravé d'une inscription, la fontaine formée de quatre femmes personnifiant les éléments et centrées d'une colonne à chapiteau corinthien entourée d'un pampre de vigne peint en vert, les réceptacles en forme de coquille, la prise en sphère surmontée d'une nymphe, poinçons sur la base et sur les coquilles.

ProvenanceGeorg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705). 
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 125, référencée séparement:

1 grooved beaker like a fountain-piece beneath the foot engraved Ambt Boendieck hallmark of Bodendieck
13 (marks) 4 (ounces) 1/2 (lot)

Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. II, no. 2383 c), dans les collections du Herzog von Cumberland à Vienne.
Répertoriée dans le Scheffler, Goldschmiede Niedersachen I, Berlin, 1965, p. 422, no. 842 b).
H. Grandsart, "Les coupes des Hanovre", Connaissance des arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p.6. 

ExhibitedGoldschmiede-Austellung, Wien-Penzing, 1889, no. 252. 

Note: Ces fontaines de table, de part leur composition architecturale étaient surtout destinées à divertir les yeux et impressioner les convives. Cependant, leur rôle fonctionnel était de contenir le vin pour servir les invités ou plus probablement de l'eau de rose pour se rincer les doigts. Il existe plusieurs fontaines, dont la plus théâtrale est celle datée 1648, conservée au château de Rosenborg à Copenhague. C'est l'oeuvre pour l'essentiel d'Hans III Peters, orfèvre à Augsbourg, avec quelques ajouts d'un orfèvre probablement d'Hambourg et qui aurait été commandée pour le couronnement de Frederick III, marié à la princesse Sophie-Amélie de Brunswick-Lunebourg depuis 1643. (voir L. Seelig, Silber und Gold, Augsburger Goldschmiedekunst für dïe Höfe Europas, Munich, 1994, p. 267, no. 63). Une autre également plus grande que notre modèle, par Peter I Ohr, orfèvre à Hambourg et datée 1649-1652 a été offerte par le roi Charles XI de Suède en 1662 au tsar Alexis Ier. Cette fontaine est maintenant conservée au palais des Armures à Moscou. (voir B.Shifman et G. Watson, eds. Gifts to the Tsars 1500-1700, New York, 2001, p. 126, fig. 14) 

Cast with four dolphins supporting the plain spherical reservoir engraved with inscription, with four shell-shaped dishes above, the corinthian column stem flanked by four allegorical female figures of the Elements and partly enclosed by vine tendral with cold-painted green leaves, the spherical knop above capped by a seated nymph with pipe, marked on base and on shells

The inscription reads 'AMBT BODENDICK' which loosely translates as District of Bodendick.

Table fountains were often monumental structures and as such were a source of entertainment and wonder to visitors. However their function, if they were to be used at all, was to be either for pouring wine or, perhaps more likely, to be filled with rosewater to rinse the hands.
Very few examples have survived, but the most dramatic is that dated 1648 now in the Rosenborg Castle in Copenhagen, made in part by Hans III Peters in Augsburg and by an unidentified maker believed to be from Hamburg. This was made to celebrate the coronation of King Frederick III in 1648, five years after his marriage to Sophia-Amelia Brunswick-Lüneburg. (See L. Seelig, Silber und Gold, Augsburger Goldschmiedekunst für die Höfe Europas, Munich, 1994, p. 267, no. 63). 
A second example, also larger and dated 1649-1652, was made in Hamburg by Peter I Ohr, and was a gift from King Charles XI of Sweden in 1662 to the Emperor Alexis Michaelovich and is now in the Armoury Museum, the Kremlin, Moscow (see B.Shifman and G. Watson, eds. Gifts to the Tsars 1500-1700, New York, 2001, p. 126, fig. 14).

3

Lot 196. The Baden dish, a magnificent German silver-gilt and enamel dish, 1562-1586, maker's mark of Abraham I Lotter, Augsburg. Diamètre: 46,5 cm. (18¼ in.). Poids brut: 3234 gr (114.05 oz.). Estimate €100,000 - 150,000. Sold €661,000 / £588,290/ $855,268to a private. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

Circulaire à décor alterné de rosaces en filigrane d'argent réhaussées de perles sur fond vermeillé, et de mauresques et entrelacs travaillés à l'eau forte, le marli appliqué sur l'endroit de trois médaillons fondus répétés deux fois illustrant le thème des ruses féminines avec Samson et Dalila, Aristote et Phyllis et Jézabel et le roi Achab, et sur l'envers de six médaillons à l'effigie des dieux romains, Jupiter, Eros, Mars, Mercure, Diane et Vénus, la frise centrale encadrée d'une bordure filetée rivetée de masques de lions, le centre gravé d'armoiries émaillées bleu, rouge et noir et de la date 1561, poinçons sur l'envers et striche.

ProvenanceMargraves de Baden.
Titus Kendall, Londres. 

LiteratureA. Gruber et al., L'art décoratif en Europe, Renaissance et Maniérisme, Paris, 1993, illustr. p. 312.
H. Seling, Die Augsburger Gold-und Silberschmiede 1529-1868, vol.II, Munich, 1980, illustr. numéro 62.

Note: Ce plat porte au centre les armes du margrave Karl II de Baden-Durlach (1553-1577) et commémore l'adoption par Karl II de la confession d'Augsbourg, texte fondateur du luthéranisme. Cet ordre ecclésiastique fut rédigé par Jacob Heerbrand. En 1561, le margrave se déclare pour la confession d'Augsbourg à l'occasion du congrès des protestants à Naumburg et fera probablement baptiser ses enfants en utilisant ce bassin. En effet par tradition, le baptême protestant était célébré par aspersion du baptisé en utilisant un bassin d'un diamètre d'environ 40 cm.
Ce bassin est typique du style d'Abraham I Lotter dont il fait sa spécialité comme l'illustrent quatre chopes, dont deux sont au palais des Armures à Moscou (H. Seling, Die Kunst der Augsburger Goldschmiede 1529-1868, vol.II, Munich, 1980, illustr. 133) et une dans une collection privée (Magie de l'orfèvrerie, vol.II, Bruxelles, 2004, p. 126-127). Ce style de filigranes sera également repris par d'autres orfèvres comme Ulrich Schönmacher (J.F. Hayward, Virtuoso Goldsmiths and the triumph of Mannerism 1540-1620, New York, 1976, illustr. 494.).
Le travail à l'eau forte des mauresques peut être rapproché des dessins de Virgil Solis (1514-1562) qui travailla à Nuremberg alors que les médaillons sont attribuables au cercle de Peter Flöttner également établi à Nuremberg dans le second tiers du XVIème siècle. Ils reprennent des scènes d'après Folge von Weiberlisten (les ruses féminines) de Jörg Pencz alors que les scènes du revers s'inspirent de plaques avec Saturne, Jupiter, le Soleil ou Mercure.
Il existe également une double coupe par Hand Braband (1535-1569), Nuremberg, conservée au British Museum (1927, no. 110), décorée de médaillons de Saturne, Jupiter, Mercure, Mars, Vénus et la Lune. (voir I. Weber, Deutsche, Niederländische und Französische Renaissanceplaketten 1500-1650, Munich, 1975, p. 110, pl. 39 et p. 86 no. 66, pl. 1-4 et pl. 22). 

Circular, the outer border with alternating panels of silver filigree rosettes decorated with beading on gilt and moresque background, applied with three medallions repeated twice of Samson and Delilah, Aristotle and Phyllis and Jezebel and King Ahab before Baal, the well acid-etched with moresques on matted ground, with inner moulded border secured by six lion's mask rivets, the central boss surrounded by further bands of filigree rosettes, etched moresques and set with enamelled coat-of-arms dated 1561, the reverse applied with six medallions cast with figures of the gods, Jupiter, Eros, Mars, Mercury, Diana and Venus, marked on reverse and with assay scrape

The arms are those of the Margrave Karl II of Baden-Durlach (1553-1577) and this dish appears to commemorate his conversion to the Augsburg confession, the founding text of Lutheranism as defined by Jacob Heerbrand. In 1561 the Margrave declared his conversion at the Protestant Congress in Naumburg. This dish was presumably made shortly afterwards but was used for the baptism of all his children. It is a particularly fine example of the very distinctive and striking decoration that Abraham I Lotter used on a number of occasions. There are at least four similarly decorated tankards recorded by him of which two are in the Armoury, the Kremlin Museum, Moscow (H. Seling, Die Kunst der Augsburger Goldschmiede 1529-1868, vol.2, Munich, 1980, fig. 133) and one in a private collection (Magie de l'orfèvrerie, vol.2, Brussels, 2004, p. 126-127). This filigree decoration was also used by other makers such as Ulrich Schönmacher (J.F. Hayward, Virtuoso Goldsmiths and the Triumph of Mannerism 1540-1620, New York, 1976, illustr. 494).
The strapwork is closely related to the designs of Virgil Solis (1514-1562) from Nuremberg. The three applied scenes can be attributed to the circle of Peter Flötner, Nuremberg, second third of the 16th century and appear to be after images from Jörg Pencz's Folge von Weiberlisten (Women's Wiles). The scenes on the reverse are taken from a series of lead plaquettes of which four (Saturn, Jupiter, the Sun and Mercury) survive. A double-cup by Hans Braband (1535-1569) from Nuremberg, in the British Museum (1927, no. 110) is applied with similar plaquettes emblematic of Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars, Venus and the Moon. (See I. Weber, Deutsche, Niederländische und Französische Renaissanceplaketten 1500-1650, Munich, 1975, p. 110, pl. 39 et p. 86 no. 66, pl. 1-4 et pl. 22).

1

Lot 201. The Luneburg cup, an exceptionaly large German parcel-gilt cup and cover, circa 1645, maker's mark of Nicolas Siemens, Luneburg. Hauteur : 113 cm. (44½ in.); 4352 gr. (153.50 oz.) (2). Estimate €120,000 - 180,000. Sold €613,000 / £545,570/ $793,161 to the Galerie J. Kugel. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

A décor de cupules et gravée d'un décor auriculaire, le pied appliqué d'une plaque fondue gravée des armes de la ville de Lunebourg, le fût en forme de vase appliqué d'enroulements dont trois avec caryatide, le couvercle en large bouquet polychrome,poinçons sur la base et sur le bord.

ProvenanceGeorg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705).
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 126, référencée sous le titre:

13 Drinking cups of different sizes, all with lids
No 1 with the city arms of Luneburg on its foot 19 (marks) 1 (ounces) 15/16 (lot) 
Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. IV, no. 9543-9544 avec poinçons non identifiés, dans la collection du Herzog von Cumberland à Vienne.
Répertoriée dans W. Scheffler, Goldschmiede Niedersachsens 2, Berlin, 1965, p. 918, no. 130 b).
H. Grandsart, " Les Coupes des Hanovre ", Connaissance des Arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p.12.

Note: Dans le nord de l'Allemagne il était de coutume de présenter d'immenses coupes lors d'occasions particulières comme les couronnements. Des récits rapportent que certaines coupes étaient présentées remplies de pièces, pour garantir la loyauté du vassal.

Elles étaient également offertes comme cadeau d'ambassadeurs. Ainsi, la reine Christine de Suède envoya au tsar Alexis Ier quatre grandes coupes de Nuremberg, dont trois sont au palais des Armures de Moscou et la dernière au musée national suédois de Stockholm. Celles-ci pourraient avoir fait partie d'un butin pris par le grand-père de la reine et décrit en 1634 par un diplomate français comme "quatre grandes coupes vermeillées, de quatre ou cinq pieds de haut, assez grandes pour contenir un petit enfant: elles sont appelées "coupes d'amour" et peuvent être vidées dix à douze fois au cours d'une fête" (B. Shifman and G.Walton, eds, Gifts to the Tsars, 1500-1700, New York, 2001, pp. 172-3).

On spreading lobed base chased with auricular motifs, applied with a cartouche cast with the arms of the town of Luneburg, the lobed vase-shaped stem with scroll brackets, the upper tier capped by busts between foliate calyxes with similarly chased bowl and cover with elaborate two-handled vase with cold-painted flowers finial, marked on base and border

It was customary in Northern Germany for immense cups to be presented on specific occasions such as accessions and coronations. Records exist of them being presented full of coins - a very practical and no doubt well-received way of demonstrating loyalty.
They also, of course, made the perfect ambassadorial gift. Queen Christina of Sweden sent the Emperor Alexis Mikhailovich four huge Nuremberg cups of which three remain in the Armoury Museum, the Kremlin , Moscow and one in the Swedish National Museum, Stockholm. These cups were possibly booty taken by Queen Christina's grandfather from Germany. They were probably those described by a French diplomat in 1634 as "four large gilded silver cups, four or five feet high, big enough to hold a small child: these are called 'loving cups' and can be drained ten or twelve times during the course of a drinking party" (B. Shifman and G.Walton, eds, Gifts to the Tsars, 1500-1700, New York, 2001, pp. 172-3).

2

Lot 206. The Medingen cup, a German parcel-gilt cup and cover, 1609-1629, maker's mark of Hans Christopher Lauer, Nuremberg. Hauteur : 78 cm. (30¾ in.) Poids : 1862 gr. ( 65.70 oz.). Estimate €50,000 - 80,000. Sold €601,000 / £534,890 / $777,634 to an Anonymous. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

A décor de larges cupules repoussées de fleurs stylisées et de corbeilles de fruits sur fond amati, le fût en vase à pans orné de trois doubles enroulements, le couvercle avec prise en large bouquet de fleurs dans un vase, gravée sous le pied d'une inscription et sur le couvercle des initiales GW surmontées d'une couronne, poinçons sur le pied.

Provenance: Georg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705).
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 126, référencée sous le titre:

13 Drinking cups of different sizes, all with lids
No 8 On the foot stands; 'Hallmark of Meding'
8 (marks) 3 (ounces) 1/16 (lot)

Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. III, no. 4132 a) dans les collections du Herzog von Cumberland à Vienne en 1889.
H. Grandsart, " Les Coupes des Hanovre ", Connaissance des Arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p.13.

On circular waisted lobed base, the beaded stem with three scroll brackets, the bowl and cover similarly chased with lobes, with two-handled vase of flowers finial, engraved under the foot with an inscription, and on cover with initials GW beneath a crown, marked on foot

The inscription reads 'AMBT MEDINGEN' which loosely translates as District of Medingen.

3

Lot 209. The Medingen Minerva cup, a German parcel-gilt cup and cover, circa 1650, makers mark of Hinrich Ohmssen, Hamburg, assay master's mark of Clauss II Sufssen (1635-1680). Hauteur: 79 cm. (31 in.); 1714 gr. (60.50 oz.). Estimate €50,000 - 80,000. Sold €577,000 / £513,530 / $746,580 to an Anonymous. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

A décor de cupules repoussées de coquilles et enroulements auriculaires, le fût en Minerve portant un bouclier gravé et une lance (manquante), et appliqué de deux ceintures feuillagées, la coupe cintrée, le couvercle avec prise en vase et large bouquet, gravée sous le corps et gravée sur le pied et sur le couvercle des initiales GW surmontées d'une couronne, poinçons sur le bord.

ProvenanceGeorg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705).
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 126, référencée sous le titre:

13 Drinking cups of different sizes, all with lids
No 7 Shield in the center with "sincere et constanta" engraved on it
On the foot: "Hallmark of Meding"
7 (marks) 5 (ounces) 11/16 (lot)

Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. II, no. 2412 b), dans les collections du Herzog von Cumberland.
Répertoriéee dans le Scheffler, Goldschmiede Niedersachsen I, Berlin, 1965, p. 449, no. 874 e).
Répertoriée dans V. Schliemman, Die Goldschmiede Hamburgs, Hambourg, 1985, tome II, p. 127, no.181 25.
H. Grandsart, " Les Coupes des Hanovre ", Connaissance des Arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p.8.

On waisted domed base chased with lobes and auricular scrolls, the stem formed as a figure of Minerva holding an engraved shield (spear missing), the bowl and cover similary chased to the foot, with large two-handled vase of flower finial, engraved under the foot with inscription, the foot and cover with initials GW beneath a princely crown, marked on border 
The engraved shield reads 'SINCERE ET CONSTANTER' wich translates as genuine and constant.
The inscription is 'AMBTE MEDING which loosely translate as district of Medingen.

Christie's tient à remercier chaleureusement le professeur Dr. Ernst-Ludwig Richter de Stuttgart pour ses recherches et son aide dans la rédaction de ce catalogue ainsi qu'Alexis et Nicolas Kugel. 

Christie's would like to thank Professor Dr. Ernst-Ludwig Richter from Stuttgart for his help with this catalogue as well as Alexis and Nicolas Kugel.

4

Lot 208. The Altenstadt cup, a large German parcel-gilt cup and cover, dated 1649, maker's mark of Hinrich Ohmssen, Hamburg. Hauteur : 80,5 cm. (31. in.); 1806 gr. (63.70 oz.). Estimate €180,000 - 200,000. Sold €505,000 / £449,450 / $653,420 to an Anonymous. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

Décorée de cupules repoussées de motifs auriculaires sur fond amati, le fût en Flore et appliqué de feuillages stylisés, gravée sur le bord, le couvercle en large bouquet polychrome, poinçons sur le bord.

ProvenanceCadeau de la ville d'Altenstadt pour Georg-Wilhelm duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705) suite à son accession à la tête du duché en 1648.
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris.

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 125, référencée sous le titre:

13 Drinking cups of different sizes, all with lids
No 5 On the lid, hallmark of Oldenstadt
Gift of homage 11 sept. 1649
4 (marks) 12 (ounces) 1/8 (lot)

Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. II, no. 2412 a-b), dans les collections du Herzog von Cumberland à Vienne. 
Répertoriée dans le Scheffler, Goldschmiede Niedersachsen I, Berlin, 1965, p. 449, no. 874 d).
H. Grandsart, " Les Coupes des Hanovre ", Connaissance des Arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p. 8.

Note: Une ville du nom d'Altenstadt se trouve à l'ouest de Kassel. Cette ville faisait partie au milieu du XVIIème siècle du duché de Calenberg-Göttingen dont Georg-Wilhelm prit la tête en 1648. 

On circular lobed foot chased with foliage and auricular ornament, the stem with scroll calyx and formed as the seated figure of Flora holding a cornucopia, the waisted lobed bowl similarly chased, the plain rim engraved with inscription, with elaborate two-handled vase with cold painted flower finial, marked on border 

The inscription reads 'AMBTS ALTENSTADT HULDINGUNGS PRAESENT 11 SEPTEM :ANNO 1649' which translates as A present made by the District of Altenstadt as Homage 11 September: Year 1649. 

A city named Altenstadt is located close to the town of Kassel. During the 17th century this city was part of the duchy of Calenberg-Göttingen of which Georg-Wilhelm became Duke in 1648.

1

Lot 194. A German parcel-gilt mounted nautilus cup, 1610-1612, maker's mark of Jeremias Michael, Augsburg. Hauteur : 37 cm. (14½ in.). Estimate €180,000 - 200,000. Sold €505,000 / £449,450 / $653,420 to a Private. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

Ovale à décor repoussé de feuilles d'acanthe, l'ombilic appliqué de fleurons en argent, le fût en triton chevauchant un dauphin et portant le nautile, les montants en frise feuillagée se terminant en caryatide, le montant central formant un monstre marin, le couvercle amovible en forme de coquille terminée par une bordure de godrons sur fond amati, appliqué d'un trophée centré d'un médaillon gravé d'une armoirie, la prise postérieure en Venus Fortuna, poinçons sur la base et sur le bord et striche au revers.

ProvenanceCollection baron Nathaniel von Rothschild, Vienne, 1884.
Vente Christie's New York, by order of the Audrey B. Love Foundation, from the Collection of C. Ruxton Love, 14 juin 1982, lot 133.
Vente Christie's Genève, 10 mai 1988, lot 95. 

LiteratureCette coupe est répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. I, numéro 469 g et illustrée dans H-U Mette, Der Nautiluspokal, Wie Kunst und Natur miteinander spielen, Berlin, 1995, p. 257. 

NotePour une coupe très similaire, voir H. Seling, Die Kunst der Augsburger Goldschmiede 1529-1868 vol. II, Munich, 1980, illustr. 101, par Matthaus Wallbaum.

On oval base repoussé and chased with acanthus leaf border and applied above with silver stylized flower, the stem formed as a triton riding a dolphin and supporting the nautilus, the foliate straps each with caryatid terminal and the spiral capped by a sea-monster's head, the detachable shell-shaped cover with fluted border and applied with a military trophy and engraved medallion, the replacement finial formed as Venus Fortuna, marked on base and border and with assay scrape beneath base

For a very similar cup by Matthaus Wallbaum, see H. Seling, Die Kunst der Augsburger Goldschmiede 1529-1868, Munich, 1980, vol. 2, fig. 101.

 

2

Lot 204. A German silver-gilt mounted nautilus cup, first half of the 17th century, unmarked. Hauteur: 28 cm. (11 in.). Estimate €80,000 - 120,000. Sold €481,000© Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

 Sur piédestal à décor de fruits et enroulements, la terrasse repoussée de vagues, coquilles et monstres marins, le fût en forme de vase appliqué de mascarons, les montants ajourés de rinceaux et fleurs terminés par des têtes de Zéphyr, les montants centraux formant une sirène, l'attache sur la spirale gravée d'un feuillage, le nautile gravé à la pointe à l'imitation des écailles de poisson et peint en or, noir et rouge, d'oiseaux exotiques, le couvercle à bordure de larges godrons, le centre repoussé d'un monstre marin, la prise en Neptune avec son trident chevauchant un dauphin reposant sur une coquille, gravé sur le piédestal et le couvercle des initiales GW surmontées d'une couronne et de la lettre M sur l'ombilic.

ProvenanceGeorg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705).
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre probablement jusqu'à 1924.
Vente Christie's Monaco, Collection de Monsieur et Madame Robert Kahn Sriber, 1 Juillet 1995, lot 81. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 124, référencée séparément, probablement l'un des:

2 grooved drinking cup of mother of pearl with silver-gilt weighing together
6 (marks) 1 (ounce).

Note: Les cours royales et princières développent dès la deuxième moitié du XVIème siècle un goût pour ces coquilles de nautile montées en argent et vermeil dont l'importation fut facilitée par la consolidation du commerce en provenance des Indes Orientales. Le présent coquillage provient probablement de Chine, ou d'Asie du sud-est, où il a été gravé avant de recevoir son décor peint et doré d'oiseaux et insectes en Europe.
Contrairement aux autres coupes des Hanovre (lots 197 à 203 et 205 à 210) qui sont restées dans les collections familiales jusqu'au siècle dernier, ce nautile fut acquis séparément lors de la vente de la collection de Monsieur et Madame Robert Kahn Sriber. Il faisait probablement partie d'un ensemble de pièces conservé au palais Cumberland à Penzing mais vendu en 1924. 

On pedestal foot repoussé and chased with fruit and scrolls, the terrace with waves, shells and sea-monster, the vase-shaped stem applied with female masks and openwork scroll brackets, the shell with scroll and foliage side straps terminating in applied Zephyrs' masks, the end strap formed as a mermaid with tail extending to the top of the spiral, the scalloped border engraved with foliage, the shell pricked with scales and painted in gold, black and red with exotic birds, the cover with gadrooned border repoussé and chased in the centre with sea-monster and with finial cast as Neptune riding a dolphin, engraved on the pedestal and cover with initials GW beneath a crown and the initial M

From the second half of the 16th century, gilt-mounted nautilus cups became popular among the European royal and princely courts. This new taste could be satisfied by increased commercial exchanges with the East. This nautilus shell was probably carved in China or South East Asia before being painted in Europe.
Unlike the other Hanover cups (lots 197-203 and 205-210) in this sale, which remained in the Hanover family until the end of the last century, this nautilus cup was acquired separately having been in the distinguished collection of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kahn Sriber. It was presumably part of the silver from the Hanover collection displayed in Palais Cumberland at Penzing in Vienna and sold in 1924.

3

Lot 120. An important Louis XIV rose-cut diamond and enamelled gold-mounted presentation miniature,  portrait by Jean I Petitot (1607-1691), circa 1680. Hauteur: 72 mm. (2 7/8 in.). Estimate €200,000 - 300,000. Sold €481,000 / £428,090 / $ 622,366 to the Musée du Louvre. © Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

La miniature ovale avec portrait de Louis XIV en armure de parade portant le cordon de l'ordre du Saint-Esprit, la monture ovale formée de dix diamants taillés en rose et de quarante petits diamants, surmontée d'une couronne de cinq diamants à neuf facettes et vingt-trois petits diamants, le revers émaillé du chiffre royal et de rinceaux feuillagés roses et noirs sur un fond blanc.

ProvenanceVente Christie's Londres, 16 décembre 1997, lot 171.
Galerie Lavender, Londres.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureM. Bimbenet-Privat, "Les pierreries de Louis XIV, objets de collection et instruments politiques", dans Mémoires et documents de l'Ecole des chartes, 69, Etudes sur l'ancienne France offertes en hommage à Michel Antoine, Paris, 2003, p.88, illustr. pp. 90-91, fig. 3 et 4.
M. Bimbenet-Privat, Les orfèvres et l'orfèvrerie de Paris au XVIIème siècle, tome II, Paris, 2002, première de couverture et pp. 494-495, fig. 185.

ExhibitedDiamants. Au coeur de la Terre, au coeur des Etoiles, au coeur du Pouvoir, Paris, Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle, 2001, illustr. p. 247. 

Note: La miniature reprend un portrait du souverain par Claude Lefèvre (1632-1675), gravé par Nicolas Pitau (1633/1634-1670) en 1670 (une version est conservée au Museum of Art de la Nouvelle-Orléans).
Ces boîtes à portrait étaient à l'origine conçues avec des coffrets pour être offertes comme cadeaux diplomatiques, tout au long du règne de Louis XIV. Plus de trois cents sont ainsi répertoriées dans les registres des Présents du Roi, mais peu ont survécu. Une boîte similaire, sans diamant et avec un portrait différent, est conservée au Gemeente Museum de La Haye (inv. n. ODv.1-1929). Elle avait été offerte à Antoine Heinsius, Grand Pensionnaire de Hollande, lors de sa visite en France à l'occasion des funérailles de la reine Marie-Thérèse en 1683.
Seules trois boîtes avec notre portrait sont actuellement recensées et notre exemplaire est "la plus complète" (voir M. Bimbenet-Privat, op.cit., p. 88).

The circular pendant with oval miniature of Louis XIV enclosed in large rose-cut diamonds with smaller stones at the outer edges, the reverse enamelled with Louis XIV's cypher, the crown-shaped openwork surmount decorated en suite and mounted in silver and gold.

This miniature is inspired by a royal portrait by Claude Lefèvre and engraved by Nicolas Pitau in 1670, a copy of which is in the New Orleans Museum of Art.
These miniatures, known in the 17th century as boîtes à portrait, originally came in outer cases and were intended as royal gifts during the reign of Louis XIV. Indeed, more than 300 examples are listed in the registre des Présents du Roi. A similar pendant with a different portrait, but the diamonds now missing, is exhibited in the Gemeente Museum of the Hague (inv. n. ODv.1-1929). It was given to Antonius Heinsius, Great Pensioner of Holland, when he came to France for the funeral of Queen Marie Thérèse in 1683.
Only three boîtes with the portrait after Lefèvre are recorded of which the present example is the most complete. (See M. Bimbenet-Privat, op. cit)

4

Lot 205. German parcel-gilt trick drinking cup (trinkspiel), maker's mark of Dirich Utermarke, Hamburg, circa 1630 and with his mark assaymaster's mark (1617-1635). Hauteur: 53 cm. (20 7/8 in.). 1356 gr. (47.80 oz. ). Estimate €50,000 - 80,000. Sold €433,000© Christie's Images Ltd 2009.

La base circulaire repoussée de cuirs alternés de cupules, l'ombilic appliqué de têtes d'anges, le réservoir décoré d'entrelacs sur fond amati, muni de cinq pailles en forme de canon et d'un robinet avec bouchon en buste féminin, le noeud orné d'enroulements et de feuilles et bordure de perles, la coupe amovible en forme de grappe de raisin, le couvercle avec prise en allégorie de l'Hospitalité, gravé sur le corps et le couvercle des initiales GW surmontées d'une couronne, poinçons sur le pied 

ProvenanceGeorg-Wilhelm, duc de Calenberg puis de Lunebourg-Celle (1624-1705).
Par descendance dans la famille royale de Hanovre.
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris. 

LiteratureDans l'inventaire des Hanovre de 1747, p. 126, probablement référencée sous le titre:

4 wine-cups with lids to be distinguished as follows
No 2 without mark
5 (marks) 15 (ounces) 1/8 (lot)

Répertoriée dans le M. Rosenberg, op.cit., vol. II, no. 2386 e), dans les collections du Herzog von Cumberland à Vienne.
Répertoriée dans le Scheffler, Goldschmiede Niedersachsens I, Berlin, 1965, p. 417, no. 838 l).
H. Grandsart, " Les Coupes des Hanovre ", Connaissance des Arts, 2006, numéro 634, illustr. p.14.

ExhibitedGoldschmiedesche-Austellung, Wien-Penzing, 1889, no. 527. 

Dirich Utermarke est né en 1565 à Lunebourg où son père est chevalier au conseil municipal. Il quitte cependant sa région pour le sud de l'Allemagne pour compléter son apprentissage et travailler comme compagnon avant de s'installer à Hambourg où il est reçu maître en 1599. Orfèvre talentueux, son oeuvre est parsemée de pièces majeures dont des commandes pour le Landgrave de Hesse, le duc de Saxe, le duc de Lunebourg et le roi du Danemark (voir H. Schliemann, Die Goldschmiede Hamburgs, Hambourg, 1985, vol.2, no.123, pp. 60-65).
Bien que ce "trinkspiel" vienne, sans aucun doute, des collections de Georg-Wilhelm, il est possible, d'après le poids de la pièce, que cette coupe soit celle répértoriée comme oeuvre d'Utermarke:
1632 7.5 >>pro detto, so dem Cantzler D.
Heideman auff seiner dochter
Hochtzeit vorehret<<
G.92¾ Lot
qui signifie une coupe pour le Chancelier D. Heiderman à l'occasion du mariage de sa fille (H. Schliemann, op.cit., p.64). 

On circular waisted foot, chased with a band of plain lobes interspersed with strapwork, the knop above chased with putto masks, the reservoir with strapwork on matted ground and applied with six canon-shaped 'straws', one capped by a female bust tap, the stem with beaded scroll brackets, the similarly chased cover with a finial emblematic of Hospitality rising from caryatid and scrolling foliage brackets, engraved on body and cover with initials GW beneath a crown, marked on foot

Dirich Utermarke was born in Luneburg in 1565 where his father was a serving member of the Council. He moved to the south of Germany to complete his apprenticeship and worked as a journeyman before returning north to settle in Hamburg as a master in 1599 where he produced major pieces. Over a thirty year working life, he supplied among others the Landgrave of Hesse, the Duke of Saxony, the Duke of Luneburg and the King of Denmark (see H. Schliemann, Die Goldschmiede Hamburgs, Hamburg, 1985, vol.2, no.123, pp. 60-65).
Although how this cup subsequently came in to Duke Georg Wilhelm's possession is not recorded, it is possible, based on the present weight of this cup, that it is the one recorded in a list of items supplied by Utermake, as:
1632 7.5 >>pro detto, so dem Cantzler D.
Heideman auff seiner dochter
Hochtzeit vorehret<<
G.92¾ Lot
which loosely translates as 1 cup for Chancellor D. Heideman on his daughter's wedding (H. Schliemann, op.cit., p.64).