A pair of Chinese Imperial porcelain famille rose bowls, Six-character mark of Yongzheng within a double ring in underglaze blue and of the period, 1723-1735. Photo courtesy Marchant
one painted with flowering branches of peony and chrysanthemum with delicate leaves in turquoise and green enamel, the reverse with butterflies in flight and the interior with a single cymbidium flower head, lanhua; the other painted on the exterior with flowering branches of white and pink hibiscus amongst purple and blue daisies with turquoise and green leaves, the reverse with a pair of different butterflies in flight, the interior again with a single lanhua flowerhead. 7 inches, 17.8 cm diameter.
• Formerly in a private English collection.
• Purchased from Peter Boode, London, circa 1950. Peter Boode was born in The Netherlands and became an important dealer in Chinese Art. His first correspondence with Bluett & Son is recorded in October 1924. Bluett held an exhibition in 1934, A Collection of Old Chinese Pottery and Porcelain recently collected in China by Mr Peter Boode of The Hague. In this collection were several Chenghua and Xuande mark and period pieces. Several pieces were sold to Sedgwick, Percival David and Alfred Clark. Boode had a gallery at 125 Mount Street, which closed around 1948. He then dealt from an apartment at 5 Carlos Place, where Lord Cunliffe was a neighbour and client. He moved and retired to the Channel Islands and pieces are recorded as being sold by him in Sotheby’s London throughout the sixties. He gave a paper to The Oriental Ceramics Society titled Some remarks on Pre-Ming and Early Fifteenth Century Blue and White Chinese Porcelain. One of the last pieces he sold to Bluett & Son was in 1972 and is recorded as being the large underglaze copper-red bracket-lobed serving dish. This was actually a piece Bluett was unable to sell in 1934. Bluett sold it to Sir John Addis, OA. who then gave it to The British Museum in 1975; see Jessica Harrison-Hall, op. cit, 2:10, p. 90.
• A similar pair of bowls are illustrated by Yang Boda in The Tsui Museum of Art, Chinese Ceramics IV, Qing Dynasty, 1995, no. 151.
• The slight mist encircling the blue enamel, indicates that these bowls were manufactured particularly early in the Yongzheng reign and probably date from 1723.