Wu Changshuo (1844-1927), Album with Ink Paintings and Calligraphy, 1920s. Starting price € 20,000.00. Photo Auctionata
Ink and color on paper. Ink paintings and calligraphy. The folding book with silk brocade cover contains 9 double pages in silk brocade frame. Each motif inscribed and shows artist’s seals. In the original silk brocade cover. Inside with gilt speckles.
The folding book is in very good condition with only a few signs of age and wear. The silk cover is slightly rubbed. The total size is 39 x 25.5 cm.
Provenance: Private collection, Netherlands
The double pages in order of the album are as follows:
1. ‘They have the best color, heavenly scent and unique pose. The time Guyu has arrived when they are blooming and it is already late spring. The rich and noble people regret that they missed the flowering season. By chance I have painted after the idea of Li Futang (artist name of Li Shan, Qing dynasty), the paint application has an ancient elegance and the technique is similar to works from the Song and the Yuan periode. This really is a fantastic item. After I finished writing, I have also looked at it, I think it is very elegant and I am very happy. Wu Changshuo from Anji’ (国色天香绝世姿，开当谷雨得春迟。 可怜富贵人争羡，未见名华结果时。 偶拟李复堂笔意，设色古逸，笔法直接宋元，真奇品也。 写毕自视尚赏冷隽可喜安吉吴昌硕。), artist’s seal ‘Cangshuo’ (仓硕)
2. ‘The dew in Chicheng is chanced into one or two drops. Spring Jidong Wu Changshuo from Anji’ (赤城露一点化为一二下 春 季冬安吉吴昌硕), artist’s seal ‘Kutie’ (苦铁) and ‘Guirenli-min’ (归仁里民)
3. ‘Last night the east wind came just right, it has blown a pale golden ribbon. (I want to) pick one to give away, the fragrant dew made the dress wet. Fou’ (昨夜东风巧，吹开金带围。折花欲以赠，香露沾罗衣。 缶), artist’s seal ‘Cangshuo’ (仓硕)
4. ‘The flowers and the falling dew are hanging like pearls and the brilliant blue leaves open up and embrace the spring breeze. Jidong Wu Changshuo from Anji’ (花垂明珠滴香露，叶张翠蓝团春风。 季冬安吉吴昌硕。), artist’S seal ‘Kutie’ (苦铁) and ‘Cangshuo’ (仓硕)
5. ‘Chrysanthemums under the wall, Wu Changshuo’(墙根菊花。吴昌硕。), artist’s seal ‘Cangshuo’ (仓硕) and ‘Shirenzi-shi’ (the room of the cairn) (石人子室)
6. ‘This vegetable is a typical home cooking. I miss my home, when I paint. After Zhang Beiping’ (三冬此味是家常，写到琼芽忆故乡。拟张北平季冬老否), ‘Jidong Laofou’ ( 季冬老否。), artist’s seal ‘Cangshuo’ (仓硕), ‘Shirenzi-shi’ (the room of the cairn) (石人子室) and ‘Guirenli-min’ (归仁里民)
7. ‘Clear air between heaven and earth Jidong Wu Changshuo from Anji’ (乾坤清气。 季冬安吉吴昌硕。), artist’s seal ‘Kutie’ (苦铁), ‘Cangshizi’ (苍石子) and ‘Congratulations and Health’ (美意延年)
8. ‘The old osmanthus) tree on the moon Jidong Wu Changshuo from Anji’ (月中老桂 季冬安吉吴昌硕), artist’s seal ‘Kutie’ (苦铁), ‘Cangshizi’ (苍石子) and ‘Congratulations and Health’ (美意延年
9. ‘After the model Changshuo’ (依样 昌硕), artist’s seal ‘Cangshuo’ (仓硕) and ‘Banricun’ (半日邨 )
Wu Changshuo (1844-1927)
WU Changshuo, born WU Junqing, was an outstanding painter, calligrapher and poet of the late Qing period. He served before the collapse of the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) as an imperial official in Liaoning and primarily devoted himself to poetry and calligraphy with a strong interest in early writings. Later he considered himself as a painter of the ‘Shanghai school’ and tried to rejuvenate the art of flowers and bird painting. WU Changshuo’s works made him very famous in China and Japan.
Auctionata. Asian Treasures. Monday, Aug 24, 2015, 8 am EDT