MUNICH.- This year's Autumn Auction at Hermann Historica oHG in Munich will open on 27 October with the usual wide range of high quality precious objects from all eras and originating from all over the world. Until 7 November, approximately 7300 collector's pieces, some of them unique, from all specialist areas represented by the auction house will come under the hammer – antiquities, arms and armour, works of art, hunting antiques, orders and collectibles from all fields of history and military history.
Once again, the antiquities section presents several veritable rarities among the early bronze helmets, like the archaic masterpiece in excellent condition, a bronze crest helmet from the Urnfield Period, forged with consummate blacksmith's workmanship in the twelfth to eleventh century B.C. Cut out and assembled from two separately forged sheets, then hammered into the desired shape and crowned with the characteristic broad comb of this type of helmet, the skull is closed on one side with turned edges. The price reflects the rarity and condition of this Late Bronze Age helmet, which is open to bids from 28,000 euros.
A bronze crest helmet from the Urnfield Period, 12th - 11th century B.C. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
The skull put together from two separately forged sheets of bronze. Both halves cut out and hammered into the desired shape. The skull assembled by turning the edge of one half at the comb, circa 2 cm wide, and with metal strips that overlap on the inside and outside below the end of the comb being held together both front and rear by two rivets with spur-shaped heads . A ring of perforations around the border, each with a diameter of circa 3 mm, circa 1 cm above the edge, to attach the helmet lining. A further perforation on each side, just above the row of perforations, probably to attach the helmet strap or the cheek pieces, possibly made of organic material. The patina typical of a water find. The metallic, gold-coloured background clearly visible, particularly on one side, above which some areas with reddish brown and dark green oxide layers. Height 23.5 cm. Width 18.7 cm. Depth (including the spur rivets) 26.4 cm.
Rare, intact and exquisite example of a helmet from the late Bronze Age.
From the inventory of a German art dealer, acquired in an English auction house where it had been consigned from a private Bavarian collection. Added to this collection during the 1990s from an older, German private collection
Also particularly impressive is a Chalcidian bronze helmet dating from the fourth century B.C. with its high skull, cheek pieces, short nasal bar and the typical repoussé borders around the edges of the eye openings, which is estimated at 18,000 euros.
A Chalcidian helmet, bronze, 4th century B.C. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Late Chalcidian helmet with regional characteristics (type II) of the so-called Thracian group. High skull with pronounced, slightly rounded crest ridge. The former distinctly set off against the forehead below, the cheek pieces and the neck guard. The cheek pieces slightly flared outwards, cut in a straight line at the front and curved towards the ear cutouts. The upper rear part of the nape with one hole on each side to attach helmet lining and straps. The edges of the eye openings framed by broad borders in repoussé, with a short nasal bar set in between, ending in a straight horizontal rim. Neck guard with characteristic, undulating structure and flared edge. The surface covered with a green oxide layer and slight incrustations. Height 31 cm, maximum width at the lower end of the cheek pieces 19.5 cm, depth 23 cm.
Austrian private collection, acquired in the 1980s from an art dealer.
Only slightly older and with its notable, documented provenance in the famous Axel Guttmann Collection is a pseudo-Corinthian bronze helmet, forged in Apulia during the fifth to fourth century B.C., which is offered for auction from 14,000 euros. The helmet is completely conjoined, boasting fully sculptured forehead and eyebrow décor, as well as a continuous, fine herringbone border; the form is unusually elegant and in an outstanding state of preservation.
An Apulian Pseudo-Corinthian bronze helmet, 5th - 4th century B.C. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
An Apulian-Corinthian helmet, type C, with cut-out eye openings and nasal, the cheek guards completely conjoined. The helmet type was derived from Corinthian helmets, where the components that originally covered the face have lost their function and merely become ornaments that may be interpreted as apotropaic. Such helmets were invariably worn riding high on the head, with the face exposed. The upper part of the skull offset from the lower part by a border on the side and rear, the stylised, fully sculptured eyebrow décor above the eye holes in the shape of two elegantly curving wings. The neck guard up to 6 cm wide, clearly offset with a pronounced break. The borders of the neck guard, the cheek pieces, eye holes and nasal embellished with a border of zigzags between double lines. Modern highlighting in white. A total of three perforations, on each side in front of the neck guard and in the centre of the neck guard, to attach the helmet strap with a three-point mounting. The crown of the skull with rivet holes, some still with preserved rivets, to attach a forked plume holder (missing). To the side of which are trapezoid metal sheets, spliced at the base, to insert the lateral crests. Apart from the layer of reddish brown copper, the exterior surface cleaned and polished. The original oxide layer left on the interior surface. Tool marks from its forging clearly visible, particularly on both surfaces of the neck guard. Height 22.5 cm. Width 21.5 cm. Depth 30.1 cm.
Rhine-Hessian private collection, acquired in 2008 at Hermann Historica (A 56 of 8 October, lot 45). From the Axel Guttmann Collection (AG 362). Acquired by Guttmann at Hesperia, New York, in 1990 (27 November, lot 11).
Of the same provenance and also embellished with a herringbone pattern on the grip and kidney-shaped pommel, an exceedingly rare, Nordic Bronze Age sword from the ninth century B.C. is valued at 8,000 euros.
A sword, Nordic Bronze Age, 9th century B.C. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Bronze sword with kidney-shaped pommel. The grip cast over the blade with tang. Slender blade, the root widening toward the hilt. Robust midrib incised on both sides with four fine lines. The top and bottom of the hilt decorated with raised parallel lines, the recesses between the lines embellished with chased dots. On the four sides of the grip a herringbone pattern between three incised lines, the ends of the outer two rolling outwards. Probably derived from comparable Scandinavian ship portrayals. Raised spine at the top of the pommel. The surface mostly covered with a reddish-brown cuprite layer, mottled with green oxide spots. The edges jagged minimally, the point broken off, otherwise intact. Length 62.8 cm.
Rare sword form from the Nordic Bronze Age.
Rhenish-Hessian private collection, purchased at Hermann Historica's in 2008 (8 October 2008, 56th auction, lot 72). From the Axel Guttmann Collection (AG 1014). Published in H. Born/S. Hansen, Helme und Waffen Alteuropas. Sammlung Axel Guttmann, vol. 9, Mainz 2001, p. 119, p. 127 plate XIII centre, p. 129 fig. 96, p. 196 fig. 149 centre and p. 150 fig. 150, p. 274.
Next up, no less appealing and dating from the same era, is a magnificent example of an almost perfectly preserved, Bronze Age solid-hilted sword of Mörigen type. With its cast grip, this remarkable edged weapon from the Late Bronze Age will doubtless grace a new collection for a minimum bid of 10,000 euros.
A bronze solid-hilted sword of Mörigen type, Late Bronze Age, Hallstadt B3 period, 9th century B.C. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Blade with three-stage, medium curvature, all stages separated by fine lines. Maximum blade width in the middle of the blade, continuously tapering toward the point, slightly waisted toward the hilt and widening again at the short, distinctly off-set ricasso. Cast-on hilt plate and tang encased by a flat grip of three ribs. The latter with two recesses on either side with a bulge at the central rib. The hilt with an upturned V-shaped cut-out at the cross-guard and a concave disc pommel of oval section in top view. On either side of the V-shaped cut-out of the cross-guard two flat ground rivets visible, also between the two lower grip ribs and underneath the pommel plate.
Nearly perfectly preserved sword of the Mörigen type, variant I, from the late Urnfield period. Siena brown patina, the gold coloured base shimmering through in some places. The edge of the blade only minimally jagged, otherwise exceptionally well preserved. The blade is slightly, hardly noticeably bent. A superb solid-hilted sword from the bronze age!
South German private collection, taken over from the grandfather's collection, purchased by the latter in the 1960s.
Bids are invited from 35,000 euros for one of the highlights of the antiquities catalogue: a completely preserved, Roman gravestone in marble with a detailed depiction of a man-at-arms, dating from the third century A.D. His dress, hair and style suggest that the monument originates from the provinces of the Mediterranean region of Asia Minor, while the epitaph, inscribed in Greek, hints at the identity of the deceased and his benefactor. Although, at first glance, the relief includes a number of military elements in the man's attire and weaponry, other sumptuous and exalted features indicate nevertheless that he is obviously not a soldier. It is reasonable, then, to presume that this is the gravestone of a "venator", a professional hunter who took part in spectacles in the arena involving animal fights. Highly revered and yet ostracised, the deceased was probably given an air of military honour to enhance his prestige for posterity.
A Roman gravestone of a venator in marble, 3rd century A.D. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Apart from minimal spalling, the gravestone of a man-at-arms Completely preserved, in white marble, covered in brownish sintering. His dress, hair and style suggest it did originates from the provinces of the Mediterranean region of Asia Minor. The lateral pilasters with at undulating tendril, above Which of arch with palm trees at the sides and center top, forming at aedicula, in Which the portrayed figure stands at the front. At the base the epitaph "(tr). Menophilos in memory of his most dearly beloved brother Trophimus" inscribed in Greek.
His hair falling in abundant curls, the man wears a tunic with Numerous appliquéd strips of material, a length of cloth draped above His right knee That is difficult to interpret. A short lance with barbed point in his right hand. A balteus (sword belt) draped over his shoulder, with characteristic fittings (phalera and tongue piece), from Which a sword is suspended. Behind Which, a small, presumably circular, shield can be seen with pendent linear ornaments. His left hand holding a second sword. His footwear sculpted without definition or intricate detail. Although his attire includes military elements, it does not signify CLEARLY did the man was a soldier. His hairstyle is non-military. His garments are not consistent with traditional military dress, Appearing excessively sumptuous, probably with colorful embellishments. Inter alia, he wears neither a typical soldier's cloak (sagum) nor a soldier's belt. The Same Applies to his weaponryμ his lance is far too short and he bears in unusual combination of arms. On the otherhand, the sculptor what fashionable to portray Certain details of his attire thathave a military aspect, like the sword belt, with great accuracy.Nevertheless, the man is obviously not a soldier. One solution to the difficulty of interpreting the figure Is that he may havebeen a "Venator", a professional hunter who Took Part in spectacles in the arena Involving animal fights. As the weaponry and attire of thesis Professional Fighters havebeen recorded, this is conceivable, Especially the lance with the barbed point and the picturesque appearance of his hair style and dress. The factthat his dress is Adapted to That of Contemporary, 3rd century soldiers presumably darstellt to attempt to lend the professional fighter, who Took Part in public spectacles in the arena and Whose social status what Relatively ambivalent, varying from stardom to contempt, some of The Social prestige of the fully established, highly respected soldier. Height without pedestal 81 cm, width 46 cm, depth 6 cm. Weight Including pedestal 49.5 kg.
Includes to extract from the Art Loss Register and on English-language expertise prepared by JCN Coulston, a leading specialist for Roman Army Studies in England.
English private collection, acquired by the seller's father in 1968 on the art market in London and inherited from the collection.
Works of art
Once again, among the works of art in the Autumn Auction are a number of precious, exquisitely wrought wunderkammer objects, including a signed, lavishly gilded and engraved miniature casket, with its exquisite contemporary décor, which was made circa 1600 by Michel Mann of Nuremberg. In immaculate condition, the imposing casket features a depiction of Jesus and Mary on the lid, and portraits of the apostles on the body. Measuring a mere 4.5 x 7.2 x 5 cm, boasting the highest quality and made with outstanding craftsmanship, this dainty bijou is to come under the hammer for 7,500 euros.
A significant miniature casket, Michel Man, Nuremberg, circa 1600. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Rectangular body made of fire-gilt brass sheet resting on four ball feet. Riveted and screw-mounted, partly openwork edge reinforcements with well-preserved silver plating. The front with false keyhole. Hinged lid with movable silver carrying handle. Movable keyhole cover with signature "Michel Man". Original key of gilt iron with trefoil bow (old repair at the shank). Finely blued lock mechanism with chaplet and four latches, decorative mountings of gilt brass. Lid, body and both sides of the bottom with finely engraved decoration. The lid with depiction of Jesus and Mary. The body with surrounding portraits of the apostles Peter, John, Paul(?), Matthew(?), Judas and Andrew. On the inside of the bottom a standing lady in Renaissance garb, surmounted by the workshop's stamped signature "MM". On the bottom a leaping wolf amidst arabesque ornaments. Excellently preserved gilding, two small screws of the lower edge reinforcement missing. Dimensions 4.5 x 7.2 x 5 cm.
Dating from the first half of the 14th century and with a starting price of 4,500 euros is a double receptacle in silver, consisting of two perfectly interlocking drinking bowls that form a lidded cup when fitted together. Adorned with a beaded frieze and engraved plaques, similar examples of this very early Gothic double cup, also known as a Doppelscheuer, can be found in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, for example.
A German silver double cup, 1st half of the 14th century. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
The double receptacle made of silver, consisting of two interlocking, flat drinking bowls. When fitted together, the two grips form a closed handle. The lower cup with a spreading base, a continuous beaded frieze around the edge of the base and below the rim. A finely engraved plaque inserted in the base with a depiction of a seated lady surrounded by trees (Virgin Mary in a hortus conclusus?). A flat umbo in the interior of the bowl. The upper lid fashioned identically, the base missing. The bowls of the receptacle dented in places, dark age patina. Diameter of each 11 cm, combined height 9.2 cm, weight 389 g.
The early form of the Gothic double cup, also known as Doppelscheuer. Similar examples can also be found in the Thuringian State Museum, the Historisches Museum Basel and in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
Old South German private collection.
A wide selection of war chests, their listed prices between 1,400 and 2,800 euros, and fine carvings, like the figure of a Roman warrior in ivory and wood from the ambit of Simon Troger (1693 - 1768), the house and court sculptor of the Prince-Electors of Bavaria, offered for sale from 4,500 euros, complete the range in this section.
Figure of a Roman warrior, radius Simon Troger in 1750. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
detailed carved standing figure made of walnut wood and ivory with inset glass eyes on a flat plinth with chip carving. On the underside of old sticky notes and labeled "No.11". Staff replaced his left hand. Height 37 cm.
Simon Troger, born in 1693 Abfaltersbach - died 1768 in Haidhausen near Munich.
Arms and Armour
Once again, this autumn promises a magnificent variety of mediaeval edged weapons. The highly successful auction sales of various swords from the Battle of Castillon (1453) have attracted a great deal of attention over the past few years. In total, a group of 80 medieval swords have been documented at the site of Lidoire, in the vicinity of the battlefield at Castillon-la-Bataille. In the estimation of our in-house experts, the edged weapon now on offer is one of the most superb of the entire group of swords. The impressive, magnificent Gothic sword has a very wide, robust, double-edged thrusting blade of flattened diamond section, tapering evenly toward the point. The wide tang still bears remnants of a wooden grip and the iron disc pommel is decorated with engraved ornamental lines and medallions. Of momentous historical significance, this unrivalled weapon is now destined to take pride of place in a new collection for 35,000 euros.
A sword from the Battle of Castillon, 1453, found in Castillon-la-Bataille. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Very wide, robust double-edged thrusting blade of flattened diamond section, tapering toward the point, under the cross-guard traces of the rain-guard (Regenleder), the foible with one loss through combat use, wide iron cross hilt, straight, bevelled cross-guard with "ecusson" and down-curved arms, wide tapering tang with remnants of a wooden grip, heavy iron disc pommel with engraved ornamental lines and concave edges, the recessed medallions with pins, and a tall top nut. Total length 93 cm, blade length 75.4 cm, greatest width of blade 6.9 cm, length of the tang 9.9 cm. Weight 1660 g. Dark brown to blackish river patina in the form of goethite (hydrated iron oxide). The material is in remarkably good condition, only small losses.
Cf. E. Oakeshott, "A river-find of 15th century swords", in Blankwaffen - Festschrift Hugo Schneider zum 65. Geburtstag 1982 (the type corresponds to no. 10/11) as well as L. Thompson in "The sword treasure trove" in Man at Arms, Lincoln USA, August 1997.
To date, this sword is the fifth edged weapon found at the site of the Battle of Castillon offered for sale at auction by Hermann Historica. We find it to be the most splendid sword of the entire group. Cf. Hermann Historica, Auction 50, 27/28 of April 2006, lot 2012. See also the other swords of this group, Hermann Historica: 58th auction on 8 October 2009 (lot 530, the highest hammer price so far: 66.000 €), 50th auction on 28 April 2006 (lot 2012), 35th auction on 23 October 1997 (lot 1146), and 38th auction on 28 October 1999 (lot 819).
Splendid Gothic sword of great expressiveness and witness for the end of a classic conflict between two feudal dynasties and the emergence of the British and French national state.
Dordogne or Lidoire in the vicinity of Castillon-la-Bataille. To date, 80 swords of medieval origin have been found at this site.
The Battle of Castillon put an end to the so-called "Hundred Years' War" between France and England. On 17th July 1453, the 60-year-old English commander Talbot ordered to attack the French position south of Castillon after receiving false information that the enemy was retreating and that an epidemic had broken out in the camp. However, the English attack failed, Talbot and his son were killed, and the remaining survivors tried to take flight in panic.
Next in line and no less an absolute rarity is a "five-lobed sword", a hand-and-a-half sword; this example was forged circa 1550/60 in Switzerland. With all parts original, the hallmarked edged weapon is particularly impressive by virtue of its extremely long, double-edged blade, iron swept hilt and the chiselled pommel with six spiral flutes. This imposing piece is expected to fetch a minimum of 15,000 euros.
A Swiss hand-and-a-half sword ("five lobed sword"), circa 1550/60. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
The long, double-edged blade of flattened hexagonal section. Five cross-shaped marks stamped in each of the short fullers, differing smith's marks on both sides of the sturdy ricasso. The blackened iron swept hilt with a thumb ring and S-shaped quillons extending into five lobed pommels. Original, leather-covered grip, the chiselled pommel with six spiral flutes. A rare "five lobed sword" with all parts original. Length 132.5 cm.
An almost identical hilt can be found in the Klingenmuseum in Solingen.
By contrast, a splendid French hunting sword from the late 16th century, profusely adorned with hunting motifs, is open to bids from 20,000 euros. Stamped with a Brescian bladesmith's mark, the highly elaborate refinements lend the sword a striking appearance. The hilt and grip are embellished with lavish, silver-inlaid décor and appliquéd figures in half relief on an engraved, chased background.
A splendid French hunting sword, circa 1580. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Sturdy single-edged blade with a double-edged point and shallow fullers on both sides. The imperial orb stamped in the fuller on the reverse, together with the inscription "FEIVS", a Brescian bladesmith mark stamped on both sides, together with another illegible mark. Iron hilt with S-shaped, curved quillons and a large, curved guard plate. Hilt and iron grip embellished with lavish, silver-inlaid décor and appliquéd figures in half relief on an engraved, chased background. Depiction of a hunting scene with huntsmen on foot and on horseback, hounds and a variety of game. Four gold-inlaid marks stamped on the reverse of the grip. The pommel cap with a crowned coat of arms, inlaid in gold and silver. The leather covered wooden scabbard (leather lining is an old replacement) with matching, silver-inlaid fittings. The inserted by-knife with a silver-inlaid, iron grip. Length 99.5 cm.
Protecting human combatants was evidently not the armourer's only priority during the Middle Ages, as demonstrated by a rare, late-Gothic chamfron. Forged in several pieces with decorative flutes, an imposing spike and finely turned flanges, the chamfron is stamped with the Nuremberg acceptance marks, where it was produced circa 1480/90. This exceptionally beautiful piece of armour may be acquired for 20,000 euros.
A late Gothic chamfron, Nuremberg, circa 1480-90. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
One-piece skull plate with two riveted cheek pieces. Underneath the eyes a robust central ridge with flutes on either side, next to the ridge a 9 cm long tear. Eye cutouts with flared flanges, screw-mounted spike on a ridged plate. The upper edge with fan-shaped flutes, above a remaining hinge for the neck guard. The upper and lower ends finely turned, surrounding lining rivets with remains of leather. On the right side of the chamfron Nuremberg acceptance mark in the form of the city's coat of arms beside other illegible mark with finely dotted edge. Height 58 cm.
Rare late Gothic chamfron with distinctive Nuremberg mark. The second mark is probably also an inspection mark, other pieces of armour from that age feature often in addition to the city's coat of arms an "N" in a dotted circle.
The superb craftsmanship of a 17th century Spanish blacksmith will also fascinate buyers. The pair of chiselled deluxe stirrups and rowel spurs are made of wrought iron with chiselled openwork, with silver double-headed eagles in high relief and silver inlays on both sides. Valued at 6,500 euros, rarities such as these would enrich any collection.
A pair of chiselled deluxe stirrups and rowel spurs, colonial Spain, 17th century. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Wrought iron with chiselled openwork. In the upper field rectangular stirrups with finely cut ornaments, lateral buttons and silver double-headed eagle in high relief on both sides. The sturdy strap loops stamped "MIRES" on one side. Slightly flared lower sections decorated with openwork chiselled en suite and shell-shaped silver fitting at each end. One tread with original leather lacing, surfaces partly rust-coated or cleaned. Height of each 54 cm. Comes with a pair of silver-inlaid and chiselled rowel spurs, with attached (damaged) leather straps and buckles. Soiled, can be well improved by cleaning. Length of each 13 cm.
Collectors will also be interested in a late Gothic sallet with a limit of 15,000 euros, forged in one piece circa 1490, presumably in Innsbruck. Made especially for jousting in the lists, the rare tournament helmet cannot fail to impress owing to its heavy, massive construction, which caused lance points to be deflected back, thereby diminishing the force of the blows.
A South German late Gothic sallet, Innsbruck(?), circa 1490. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
The skull forged in one piece with a medial ridge splitting into a double comb over the brow. Three curved flutes on both sides at the back of the head, the pointed tail fluted twice. Surrounding lining rivets. The lower edge turned outward. A reinforcing plate for the brow, made in two pieces, each formed with six ridges. A forked retaining bar screwed on the crown of the skull, and a retaining screw on each side of the eye slit for attachment. On the right side of the nape of the neck a copper solder repair from the period of use. Height 26 cm. Length 37 cm. Weight 2650 g.
Rare tournament helmet made especially for jousting in the lists. A hit on the brow causes the lance point to be deflected backward by the brow plate, which diminishes the force of the blow. At the same time, the brow plate would be knocked off, indicating a hit. A tournament helmet of identical construction made by Christian Treytz and dated to circa 1490, is part of Maximilian I's jousting armour in the Vienna Arms Collection.
Old German private collection.
Asia, Orient and Africa
Once again this autumn, the quality and diversity of the lots from Africa, the Ottoman Empire, India, Japan and China remain as compelling as ever. A further highlight is a deluxe shashka, wrought with superb workmanship, the grip of heavy, partly gilt silver with a richly carved and nielloed decor, dating from 1913. An object of singular beauty, with its fully sculpted pommel shaped like a horse's head, the Daghestanian sword has a starting price of 9,000 euros.
A silver-mounted Daghestanian deluxe shashka, dated 1913. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Sturdy, smooth single-edged blade (lightly stained). The grip of heavy, partly gilt silver with a rich carved and nielloed decor, the pommel shaped like a horse's head. Heavy gilt all-silver scabbard with obverse ornamental carving and two rigid carry rings, the reverse florally carved and nielloed, on the upper carry clasp a nielloed inscription "Owner Muhammad Sultan" with date "1331" (=1913). Length 100.5 cm, weight 2.78 kg.
A perfectly preserved shashka except for the somewhat stained blade, fashioned from unusually heavy silver.
Elaborately crafted edged weapons from the Ottoman Empire and India have long enjoyed an ever-growing enthusiasm among international collectors. Therefore, the other lots for sale will also delight bidders, whether it be an Indian khanjar from the late 17th century with its floral chiselling of lotus and iris blossoms in the jade handle inlaid with precious stones, starting at 7,500 euros, or a silver-mounted Ottoman shamshir, dated 1817, its grip scales in rhinoceros horn, with a reserve of 4,500 euros, right through to an exceptionally decorative jambia, set with corals, from the Ottoman Empire of the mid-19th century, which is expected to fetch 2,800 euros.
An Indian khanjar with a chiselled jade handle, 2nd half of the 17th century. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Curved, double-edged blade of wootz Damascus with reinforced edges, a medial ridge on each side and ornamental floral chiselling at the base. Grip in grey-green jade with finger moulding on one side, both sides adorned with lotus and iris blossoms chiselled in relief. Burmese rubies set in gold on the pommel. Length 36 cm.
Purchased by the consignor in the South German art trade in 1976.
A silver-mounted shamshir, Ottoman, dated 1817. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Wide back wootz-Damascus blade with double-sided gold-inlaid approach. On the Terzseite round font cartridge with the date "1232" (= 1817). Silver quillons and grip strap engraved with two riveted handles made of rhinoceros horn. In the middle part chagrinlederbezogene wooden scabbard with geometric and floral-driven, long silver mountings. Silberdrahtvernähung on leather missing. Length 93.5 cm.
A further highlight is a pair of Persian gold-inlaid armour plates, char aina, dated 1783, which are offered for auction from 8,500 euros. Embellished with continuous gold inlays, the breast- and corresponding back-plate feature two gold-inlaid cartouches inscribed with the date and the name of the owner. It would be difficult to conceive a more worthy testimony to the dignity and status of the bearer.
A pair of Persian gold-inlaid armour plates (char aina), dated 1783. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Corresponding breast- and back-plate made from wootz Damascus with reinforced, riveted edges and surrounding floral gold inlays. Chiselled and gold-inlaid buckles (partially with old replacements). The divided breastplate with two gold-inlaid inscription cartouches with date "1197" (=1783) as well as owner's designation "Hassan Khan Waleh". The reverse sides each with damaged fabric lining. Damascening partially rubbed, the back-plate with minor rust perforation. Height 32 and 36 cm.
Hermann Historica, 2008, auction 56, lot 433
Military history and historical objects
In addition, significant collectors' items from the courts of Europe's ruling houses are offered for auction once again. Originating from the Austrian imperial family – a gift from Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria (1868 - 1924) to her niece, Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria – are handwritten envelopes from Empress Elisabeth of Austria (1837 - 1898) addressed to the Kaiser during the 1860s and 70s. On offer for 1,000 euros. The original signature of her husband, Kaiser Franz Joseph I (1830 - 1916), in Hungarian, which is particularly uncommon, graces the patent of nobility issued to the renowned Hungarian journalist, Moriz Gans von Lúdassy (1825 - 1885). In beautiful condition, the colours still vibrant, the parchment and matching casket are to come under the hammer for 2,500 euros.
Equally worthy of note is a larger-than-life bust of the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865) from the USA. Professor Joseph Kapfenberger (1882 - 1974), a sculptor of German descent, completed the work in 1939, only a few years after emigrating to New York. Abraham Lincoln is portrayed with dignified grandeur, his eyes closed, in meditation or at prayer. A quotation from his speech on the occasion of his second inauguration, "with malice towards none, with charity for all" and the artist's signature are engraved on the base of the bronze bust, which has a limit of 12,000 euros.
The rare helmets of German provenance will not disappoint buyers, including some exceptional pieces like a helmet M 1852 for enlisted men and non-commissioned officers of the Royal Bavarian Hartschiere Life Guards, starting at 9,000 euros. The imposing helmet – the large parade issue – has a nickel-silver skull crowned with a statant lion and bearing the Bavarian coat of arms surmounted by a crown.
A helmet M 1852 for enlisted men and NCOs of the Royal Bavarian Hartschiere Lifeguards. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Large parade issue with identically numbered standing lion. Nickel-silver skull with gold-plated fittings, border, and surrounding rivets. Applied large helmet plate with the Bavarian coat of arms surmounted by a crown. Chinscales with original leathering on embossed crown rosettes. The cruciform basePlate richly decorated and made of several pieces, striding lion with number "31" Struck Between the legs (no numbers under the paws). The bottom of the front visor green, the back Visor lacquered in black, soldered panel with embossed number "31". Complete with the rarely preserved brown leather lining, black velvet piping and white felt stripes. Partially slightly damaged, signs of age. Extremely rare.
Equally rare, a complete full-dress uniform of the same Guards is also being offered for sale at 4,500 euros. A helmet M 1843 for officers of the Regiments Garde du Corps and Guard Cuirassiers is expected to fetch the same price. Featuring nickel-silver trims and a silver star with enamel painting, the tombac skull is topped with a silver-plated parade eagle; the marks of a sword strike are still clearly visible.
A helmet M 1843 for officers of the Regiments Garde du Corps and Guard Cuirassiers. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Tombac skull, nickel silver trims, silver star, the centre replaced with enamel painting. Leather officer's cockade, chinscales of later date on screws. Leather lining, rear peak lined with black velvet. Silver-plated, finely chased parade eagle, weight 660 g. On the left of the skull a dent caused by a sword strike.
Selected French edged weapons in the military history section will certainly appeal to enthusiasts, among them a sabre for an officer of the chasseurs à cheval circa 1810 with a fascinating history, estimated at 5,000 euros. The obverse of the blade bears an etching of a hussar with drawn sword on a rearing horse, set between the inscriptions "Ve Les Chasseurs" above and "G. Nihon et Compagnie a Magdeburg" below; the reverse has identical motifs and inscriptions, except that a banner marked "Napoleon" flies above the hussar. After a siege lasting three weeks, Magdeburg fell to the French in 1806 and only returned to Prussia in 1815 following Napoleon's defeat.
A sabre for an officer of the Chasseurs à cheval, circa 1810. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Sturdy, slightly curved single-edged blade with broad fuller on bothsides, the forte etched on Both Faces, the obverse showing a hussar with drawn sword on rearing horse , set between the inscriptions "Les Chasseurs Ve" and below "Nihon G. et Compagnie a Magdeburg", identical motifs and inscriptions on the reverse, only with the banner "Napoleon" surmounting the hussar. Knuckle-bow hilt of valid non-ferrous metal (rubbed), leather-covered grip (minor losses). Black lacquered leather scabbard decorated on bothsides with raised, applies brass mounts (partially loose) and two movable suspension rings. Slightly damaged, signs of wear and age. Length 94 cm.
After a siege lasted three weeks did, Magdeburg fell to the French department in 1806. In 1807 Magdeburg what Annexed to the Kingdom of Westphalia and Became seat of the Elbe. After Napoleon's defeat to Prussia in 1815. returned Magdeburg
Well preserved Napoleonic saber with interesting history.
The auction also comprises a number of exceptionally rare edged weapons from Russia, for example a sabre M 1827 for officers of the Russian cavalry, etched on both sides, which was forged in the prestigious bladesmith workshops of Zlatoust. Listed at 4,000 euros, the blade bears the Cyrillic inscription "For Turkmenchay, 10 February 1828" on the obverse and a representation of the Treaty of Peace between Russia and Persia on the reverse. Equally rare and with a reserve of 3,500 euros is a dagger for officers, the blade adorned with the etched tsarist cipher "NII" and the Russian double-headed eagle, with an enamelled Order of St. George on the pommel.
Among the exquisite silverware on offer are two unparalleled silver tankards, crafted with outstanding workmanship and of formidable provenance. While the presentation tankard with its gilt interior, a gift from the Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna Romanova and bearing her engraved dedication flanked by nielloed views of the Kremlin on the front, is to come under the hammer for 15,000 euros, bids are invited from 28,000 euros for the tankard shaped like a wooden barrel, which was presented to the Royal Prussian Oldenburg Infantry Regiment no. 91 by its brothers-in-arms of the Russian Imperial 67th Tarutinsky Infantry Regiment on the occasion of its centenary.
An important Russian silver tankard – a personal present from Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna Romanova, dated 1866-67. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Silver, very finely engraved, chiselled and nielloed, with gilt interior. The obverse with engraved Cyrillic dedication and date (tr.) "From Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna 1867". Two lateral cartouches with nielloed depictions of the Kremlin in Moscow, the lip featuring the inscription along the perimeter (tr.) "Beer is not a miracle and honey is nothing special, but crown everything. That love may be precious." (old Russian friendship motto, see dictionary by Dali). Lateral handle, lid and base with Cyrillic master's mark "VS" for Vasily Semenov and hallmark for "84" zolotniki, in the base the Moscow inspection mark "VS" with year date 1866. Height 15.5 cm, weight 835 g. Rare.
The lidded tankard was a present from the Grand Duchess to a Berlin-based notary. Enclosed an old letter written by the notary referring to the tankard.
Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna Romanova, neé Princess Frederike Charlotte Marie of Württemberg (1807 - 1873) – wife of Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich. A philanthropist and patron, she rejected serfdom and advocated to Tsar Alexander II about the abolition of this institution.
An important silver tankard – a present commemorating the 100th anniversary of the 67th Tarutinsky Infantry Regiment of the Grand Duke of Oldenburg, Russia, dated 1896. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Silver, in form of a wooden barrel, finely engraved, gilt interior. The obverse engraved with the dedication and date (tr.) "For the Royal Prussian Oldenburg Infantry Regiment No. 91 from their brothers-in-arms of the Imperial Russian Infantry Regiment No. 67 Tarutino – Grand Duke of Oldenburg".
In the centre applied and enamelled regimental coin with the year dates "1796-1896" (shoulder piece with very small chipping on the enamel). On the lid applied symbol of the Tarutinsky Infantry Regiment with standards, banner with engraved inscription (tr.) "For Sebastopol 1854 and 1855" and year date "29/XI/1796-1896". Height 24.5 cm, weight circa 1580 g. Slightly bumped. Very high quality, extremely rare.
Orders and Insignia
Stealing the show in the orders section are a number of outstanding decorations from Russia, among them the red enamelled, gold Cross 1st Class with Swords of the Order of St. Anna, valued at 18,000 euros, and a set of the 1st Class of the Order of St. Stanislaus from the workshop of the renowned St Petersburg jeweller, Wilhelm Keibel, dated 1857, which is offered for sale from 11,000 euros.
Order of St. Anna – a Cross 1st Class with Swords, Russia, dated 1864. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Gold and enamel. The vertical cross arms with maker's mark "IK" for Julius Keibel and double-headed eagle punched on the reverse, the eyelet with mark of fineness for "56" zolotniki, St. Petersburg year stamp 18(6)4 and French import mark. Dimensions 54 x 48.5 mm, weight 23.5 g. Reverse medallion chipped, enamel in the lower cross arm on the obverse presumably restored. Swords possibly of later date. With original ribbon section, dimensions 10 x 67.5 cm. Rare.
Order of St. Stanislaus, 1st Class set, Russia, dated 1857. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Gold and gold-plated silver, respectively, enamelled. Gold cross with manufacturer's mark "WK" for Wilhelm Keibel, the reverse punched with double-headed eagle, the eyelet punched with St. Petersburg year cypher "1857" and mark of fineness "72". Dimensions 65 x 60 mm, weight 31 g. Enamel on the obverse medallion minimally chipped. With original small ribbon section. Partly gilt silver breast star, both the reverse and the pin bearing the manufacturer's mark "Keibel" and punched with double-headed eagle and St. Petersburg mark of fineness for "84" zolotniki. Dimensions 88 x 88 mm, weight 51 g. Original ribbon of 11 cm width and approximately 132 cm length with beautiful silk moiré, slightly faded, one end incomplete. In the original, gold-embossed red leather case with light-coloured velvet lining. Dimensions 17.3 x 12 x 3.3 cm. The closure hooks are missing.
A Breast Star to the Order of the Black Eagle, 1842, the personal decoration belonging to Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1819 - 1861), the husband of Queen Victoria of Great Britain (1819 - 1901), heads the parade of exceptional lots, which would grace any museum collection. On 30 January 1842, Prince Albert was admitted to the former knightly order by King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia and awarded Prussia's highest decoration. The eight-rayed, faceted silver star bears the eagle surrounded by the order motto "SUUM CUIQUE" - To each his own - and the double laurel branch engraved in gold on white enamel. Manufactured by the orders jewellers Rundell, Bridge & Rundell of London, who were in business only until 1842, and engraved with his personal insignia, this phaleristic sensation is open to bids from 10,000 euros.
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - a Breast Star to the Order of the Black Eagle, 1842. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Eight-rayed, faceted silver star with hand-cut (quadrangular) piercing, the backsides of the rays concave. The order motto "SUUM CUIQUE" (To each his own) and the double laurel branch engraved in gold on white enamel, the latter enamelled in translucent green and red. The medallion and the central eagle surrounded by re-engraved arched ornamental borders, the black eagle in gold with polychrome enamel, applied on a guilloched gold background covered with translucent orange enamel. The pin-hinge and the hook made of gold, the former gold pin replaced by a silver one. The reverse medallion cover plate engraved with the coat of arms of the later Prince Consort Albert, the award date "XXX. JANUAR MDCCCXLII" and the manufacturer's mark "RUNDELL BRIDGE & RUNDELL JEWELLERS TO HIS MAJESTY. and THE ROYAL FAMILY. LONDON.". Width 73 mm. Weight 54.2 g. In a round red leather case with press-button closure and inscription (tr.) "Order of the Black Eagle" embossed in gold.
The order collection of the British royal house (cf. "Royal Insignia" by Stephen Patterson) contains various order decorations awarded to Prince Albert, some of them, as the object at hand, engraved with his insignia (Star of the Ernestine House Order with Garter, ibid. No. 43b). Queen Victoria also preferred to have her personal order stars manufactured by the London orders jewellers Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, who were in business only until 1842.
Prince Albert, born on 26 August 1819, was admitted to the Order of the Black Eagle by King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia on 30 January 1842 and from February onwards was invested as chain bearer. He was general field marshal, Knight of the Order of the Garter (1839) and Grand Master of the Order of the Bath, initiator of the London World Exhibition 1851 and from 1857 onwards bore the official title of British Prince Consort. He died on 14 December 1861 at Windsor Castle.
Personal specimen belonging to the husband (from 1840 onwards) of Queen Victoria of Great Britain and therefore of museum importance. From auction 16. Karlheinz Müller, Limburg, dated 5 June 1985 with proof of origin (inherited through the princely house of Hohenlohe-Langenburg). Cf. also Jörg Nimmergut, Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen, vol. 2, p. 764.
Likewise worthy of note are the crosses of the highest Prussian order for military achievements, the Pour le Mérite, which are to come under the hammer. The order cross of the legendary decoration for bravery, this version produced by Baudesson, was awarded to Second Lieutenant Karl Wilhelm Friedrich von Schmitterlöw in 1793 for his services in the War of the First Coalition against France. With an asking price of 24,000 euros, this order cross is currently the third documented award from the 18th century in the world of phaleristics. Also offered for auction is another magnificent, museum-quality piece of cultural and historical significance, the cross with oak leaves in the typical production method of 1870/71, which is unlikely to be available again in this condition. The Pour le Mérite order is known to have been awarded a mere 38 times for outstanding achievements in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71. As a result of the strict return obligation, very few examples are still in private ownership; therefore, the new owner will have to part with a minimum of 28,000 euros for this absolute rarity, a hollow-cast order cross, exquisitely wrought in gold.
Second Lieutenant Karl Wilhelm Friedrich von Schmitterlöw - an Order Cross Pour le Mérite of 1793 manufactured by Baudesson. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Neck cross with gold frame characteristic of the crosses of the 18th and early 19th century, the separately inserted, re-engraved eagles typical of the order jewellers Baudesson, a family business in Berlin, set between the cross arms enamelled in light blue on a white enamel base. The double suspension ring in a round decorative eyelet, the crowned name cypher of the order's founder Frederick II and the order motto "Pour le Mérite", already executed in Antiqua font (from circa 1780 onwards), burnished onto the enamel of the obverse using smooth gold foil and shaded with black enamel paint. The obverse with small chip (larger on the reverse) in the enamel of the cross-arm crossing. On a long ribbon customised for wear, with hook closures. Width 48.3 mm.
Typical production by Baudesson et fils 1786 - 1806 under Fréderic Schüler, the son-in-law of the company founder Daniel Baudesson (1716 - 1785), who, after the death of the latter's son Louis in 1788, was in charge of the company. Apart from Carl Friedrich Mollard in 1794/95, the Baudesson family was the only manufacturer of the Pour le Mérite Order privileged by the king in the last third of the 18th century. The preserved original order ribbon is attributed to the silk weaver Eissenhart, who was privileged in 1787 and who delivered the ribbon at a length of 1.5 ells against payment of 1 thaler for the crosses sold at 22 thalers.
Museum-worthy object of cultural and historical importance, in particular with the attested provenance of the award in 1793. An almost identical specimen dated 1788 (Freiherr von Müffling) was described by Heyde under no. 127. Therefore, this is probably the third known order cross from the 18th century with documented award date.
The later Staff Captain Karl Wilhelm Friedrich von Schmitterlöw (also Schmiterlöw), died 1843, came from a family of long-standing tradition which was raised to nobility when Pomerania was under Swedish rule. From 1780 onwards, he served in the Prussian army, and in the War of the First Coalition against France he acted with such bravery in the Prussian regiment "Wegnern zu Fuß" during the siege of Mainz in 1793, when the flèche on the capital line of the Welsche Schanze was stormed on the evening of 16 July, that King Frederick Willliam II awarded the Pour le Mérite Order to him as the 383rd of his officers on the following day.
Fine antique and modern firearms
The exclusive selection of antique firearms includes a Teschen wheellock rifle (tschinke), circa 1650, which is estimated at 12,000 euros; the magnificently ornate walnut full stock is embellished with engraved and blackened stag horn and mother-of-pearl inlays. By contrast, bids are invited from 14,500 euros for the early 18th century, deluxe German wheellock rifle, lavishly decorated with bone inlays and the chiselled brass furniture with figurative engravings.
A bone-inlaid wheellock rifle (Tschinke), Teschen, circa 1650. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Slightly swamped, octagonal barrel with rifled bore in 8.5 mm calibre, with dove-tailed iron front sight, above the muzzle and at the breech slightly over-polished ornamental engraving. The wheellock chiselled all-over, the cock cut with figures, external spring and unusual bronze applications of figures and floral openwork. Elaborately decorated walnut full stock with engraved and blackened staghorn and mother-of-pearl inlays, the fore-end replaced with inlays. The curved butt with patch-box, brass butt plate and iron trigger guard. Wooden, replaced ramrod with bone tip. Length 115 cm.
The pistol cases in the Autumn Auction boast a sensational rarity and quality that are otherwise difficult to obtain on the market. Among the pièces de résistance are a deluxe pair of cased target pistols, manufactured by the court gun maker, Carl Daniel Tanner of Hanover, circa 1840/50. The profuse inlays intricately engraved with gold-inlaid decorative tendrils on the locks and furniture accentuate the significance of this superb example of the gun maker's craft, valued at 21,000 euros.
A deluxe pair of cased target pistols, Carl Daniel Tanner in Hanover, circa 1840-50. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
The octagonal, fluted barrels with well-preserved, original, highly polished bluing. Ten-groove rifled bores in 10.9 mm calibre. The fine, gold-inlaid signature "C.D. Tanner & Fils à Hannover" amidst decorative tendrils on the upper sides of the barrels. The Liège "ELG" proof mark stamped in the side, the serial number 645 and the monogram "EB" of the famous barrelsmith Eugène Bernard of Liège (active circa 1840 - 1855) on the undersides of the barrels. The tangs behind the adjustable rear sights numbered "1" and "2". The snails in the shape of conch shells. The flat lock plates each with a mounting screw, adjustable set trigger. The lavishly carved full stocks made of ebony, the forearms stamped "JNI", produced by the famous stock maker "Nicolas Julin (1822 - 1882), Professeur à l'Academie Royale de Beaux-Arts" in Liège. The locks and furniture entirely covered with intricately engraved tendrils, inlaid in gold. Length of each 41 cm.
In a high-quality case made of ebonised wood. The lid and edges with brass inlays, the finely engraved lid plaque with the dedication "den 22. September 1858" surmounted by the royal crown. The interior lined in purple velvet. Extensive additional accessories comprising grease box and patch box, loading hammer and tool handles in ebony. Includes ramrod and cleaning rod, bullet mould, nipple wrench, screwdriver and priming powder container. Dimensions 8 x 49 x 30 cm.
Carl David Tanner (1791 - 1858) was initially employed as an engraver in the royal gun factory in Herzberg. In 1829, he opened an arms shop in Hanover and was appointed court gun maker at the Royal Armoury of Hanover in the same year.
According to popular tradition, the case originally belonged to the Prussian Generalfeldmarschall Friedrich Heinrich Ernst Graf von Wrangel, to whom it was presented as a gift for his services to the Prussian court. Lot includes a certificate, giving the provenance as the von Wrangel family, issued by Schloss Ahlden, the fine art auction house, where the pistols were last auctioned in 1997.
Moreover, bidding starts at 17,000 euros for a pair of deluxe flintlock pistols, the work of Leopold Becher of Karlovy Vary, circa 1730. Specialising in the manufacture of deluxe weapons for the European royal houses, he quickly achieved exceptionally widespread acclaim.
A pair of deluxe flintlock pistols, Leopold Becher in Karlovy Vary, circa 1730. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Round barrels with flat midribs, bluing renewed. Smooth bores in 14.5 mm calibre. At the breeches gold-lined marks "L. Becher" surmounted by a crown and additional mark depicting a dog. Finely engraved iron locks decorated with hunting scenes. Fire-gilt side plates with depiction of an army unit invading a fortified town. Finely chiselled walnut full stocks with dark horn noses. Furnitures of fire-gilt brass, richly decorated in relief. Escutcheons with standing hunting goddess Diana, the trigger guards decorated with image of huntsman and dog. The pommel caps with varying depictions of Baroque cavalry fighting against the Turks. Wooden ramrods with dark horn tips. Length of each 52 cm.
Leopold Becher, who worked circa 1725-50, was one of the best gunsmiths in Karlovy Vary and specialised in the manufacture of deluxe weapons for the European royal houses. Cf. Stöckel, p. 72.
No less renowned is Henry Le Page of Paris, from whose skilful hands a cased pair of percussion pistols dated 1830, complete with extensive accessories, is now available for 12,000 euros.
A cased pair of percussion pistols, Henry Le Page, Paris, dated 1830. © 2011 - 2015 Historica oHG Hermann
Blued octagonal Damascus barrels with slightly swamped muzzles in 13 mm calibre. Dovetailed front sights. Gold-inlaid signature "LE PAGE ARQ.ER DE ROI" at the breeches. Nipple sockets with gold-inlaid foliage frieze, barrels and tangs with gold-inlaid numbering "1" and "2". Snail with platinum inlays. Engraved locks with gold-inlaid, repeated signature. Triggers with single set triggers. Frog mount with number "3246" and year cipher "A1830", undersides of barrels numbered, insides of locks also numbered. Slightly carved stocks made from beautifully grained walnut with finely engraved steel furnitures. Barrel bedding also numbered. Both pistols with many different but repaired damages at the lock plates, side plates and trigger guards. Length of each 37 cm.
In a walnut case with brass edges, the lid with an inlaid brass plaque. Lockable, comes with the original key. The interior lined with green velvet and red, gold-embossed leather. Golden manufacturer's embossing "Le Page, Arquebusier du Roi à Paris" inside the lid. Comprehensive accessories, consisting of an engraved bullet mould, a powder flask, a ramrod and a cleaning rod, a loading hammer, a combined screwdriver and nipple wrench, a patch can and a powder gauge. Dimensions 43 x 27.5 x 9 cm.
Henry Le Page (1792 - 1854) has been working as Arquebusier du Roi in Paris from 1815 - 1842.
All prices are net prices and are to be understood plus 23 percent surcharge.