5

7

Tête de rat en bronze provenant de la clepsydre zodiacale du palais d’été de l’empereur Qianlong (Yuanming Yuan). Chine Dynastie Qing, Epoque Qianlong (1736-1795).

Réalisée d'après les dessins du Père jésuite Giuseppe Castiglione pour la fontaine zodiacale du Yuanming Yuan, cette tête de rat est particulièrement réaliste, typique au rongeur, le museau allongé, piqué de moustaches à l'origine, est entrouvert et laisse apparaître deux rangées de petites dents, les yeux en amande dégagent une impression d'intelligence, les petites oreilles dressées imitent à la perfection celles de l'animal, les muscles soulignés par un modelé subtil et le pelage rendu par de fines incisions renforcent ce rendu très naturel, socle. Hauteur: 30 cm. (11¾ in.), Longueur: 40 cm. (15¾ in.). Estimation : €8.000.000-10.000.000

Provenance:  Collection José Maria Sert y Badia
Collection Pomereu
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris

An Exceptionally Rare And Important Bronze Rat Head Made For The Zodiac Fountain Of The Emperor Qianlong's Summer Palace (Yuanming Yuan) China, Qing Dynasty, Qianlong Period (1736-1795) 

Based on the drawings by the Jesuit missionnary, Giuseppe Castiglione, for the zodiac fountain of the Yuanming Yuan, extremely naturalistically cast as a rat head, with an elongated muzzle originally dotted with whiskers, and held very slightly open to reveal two rows of small teeth, all below two almond-shaped eyes and characteristic small curling raised ears, the musculature of the head finely cast beneath incised fur markings with exceptional realism overall ; stand

6

8

Tête de lapin en bronze provenant de la clepsydre zodiacale du palais d’été de l’empereur Qianlong (Yuanming Yuan). Chine Dynastie Qing, Epoque Qianlong (1736-1795).

Réalisée d'après les dessins du Père jésuite Giuseppe Castiglione pour la fontaine zodiacale du Yuanming Yuan, cette tête de lapin est particulièrement réaliste, le museau piqué de moustaches à l'origine, est entrouvert et laisse apparaître deux rangées de petites dents, les yeux ronds sont expressifs, les oreilles dressées vers l'arrière imitent à la perfection celles de l'animal, les muscles soulignés par un modelé subtil et le pelage rendu par de fines incisions renforcent ce rendu très naturel; socle. Hauteur: 45 cm. (17¾ in.), Longueur: 35 cm. (13¾ in.) Estimation : €8.000.000-10.000 000

Provenance: Collection José Maria Sert y Badia
Collection Pomereu
Galerie J. Kugel, Paris

An Exceptionally Rare And Important Bronze Rabbit Head Made For The Zodiac Fountain Of The Emperor Qianlong's Summer Palace (Yuanming Yuan) China, Qing Dynasty, Qianlong Period (1736-1795)

Based on the drawings by the Jesuit missionary, Giuseppe Castiglione, for the zodiac fountain of the Yuanming Yuan, extremely naturalistically cast as a rabbit head, with holes dotted across its half-open muzzle to bear whiskers, and frame two rows of exposed teeth, set with large expressive eyes below raised ears, the musculature of the head finely cast beneath incised fur markings with exceptional realism overall ; stand

Divers_003

Grevure d'époque représentant une partie de la fontaine

LES TETES EN BRONZE DU PALAIS D'ETE DE L'EMPEREUR QIANLONG par Rosemary Scott, Directrice internationale et Universitaire, Arts asiatiques, Christie's

D'après ce qu'évoquait l'Empereur Qianlong (1736-95) dans son introduction aux Poèmes Impériaux sur les Quarante Vues du Yuanming Yuan, il était indispensable à tout monarque soucieux de son bien-être moral de posséder un jardin de plaisance :
"Tout Empereur ou souverain, après avoir donné audience et s'être acquitté de ses fonctions officielles, doit avoir un jardin où se promener, poser le regard et laisser aller son coeur. S'il dispose d'un lieu convenable, son esprit en sera plus alerte et ses émotions tempérées, mais s'il n'en a point, il s'absorbera dans les plaisirs sensuels au détriment de sa volonté (1)."

Trois Palais d'Eté furent construits sous le règne des grands empereurs Qing. L'un d'entre eux était situé à 240 kilomètres au nord-est de Pékin, à Chengde. Là, en 1703, l'Empereur Kangxi (1662-1722) entreprit la construction d'une résidence d'été du nom de Bishushanzhuang ('Hameau de Montagne éloigné de la Chaleur') dans une vallée montagneuse abritant un vaste lac naturel. Ce parc entouré de murs abritait des pavillons et lieux de rassemblement pittoresques, auxquels s'ajouta, sous le règne de Qianlong, une bibliothèque spécialement construite pour accueillir l'un des sept exemplaires impériaux des 36 000 tomes du Si ku quan shu ('le Trésor complet des Quatre Répertoires'). La résidence impériale de Chengde était principalement dévolue à la chasse, et le parc était abondamment approvisionné en gibier, principalement en cervidés. C'est au Palais d'Eté de Chengde que se déroula la première rencontre entre Lord Macartney et l'Empereur Qianlong, en 1792. John Barrow, qui était alors secrétaire de Lord Macartney, tomba sous le charme des lieux. Il écrivit :
"C'est l'un des plus beaux paysages de forêts au monde : sauvage, boisé, montagneux et accidenté, abondant en cerfs et cervidés de diverses espèces, ainsi que la plupart des autres gibiers sans danger pour l'homme (2)."
Barrow observa également l'un des grands principes de la conception des jardins chinois :
"Une autre chose me frappa tout particulièrement, je veux parler ici de la disposition judicieuse des constructions décoratives. En effet, elles ne paraissent point entassées ni disproportionnées; jamais elles n'offensent le regard; mais dès qu'elles apparaissent, elles se montrent toujours à leur avantage, pour servir, améliorer et animer la perspective (3)."
Le Palais d'Eté de Chengde, où la Cour prenait habituellement ses quartiers du sixième mois lunaire à l'Automne, ne cessa de jouir des faveurs impériales qu'après 1820, année où l'Empereur Jiaqing (1796-1820) y périt, frappé par la foudre dit-on.

Les deux autres grands Palais d'Eté de la dynastie Qing étaient plus rapprochés de la capitale, situés légèrement au nord-ouest de Pékin, à Haidian, dans les Collines Parfumées (Xiang Shan), plus précisément la Colline de la Fontaine de Jade (Yuquan Shan) et la Montagne du Pot (Weng Shan), où les sources du Wanquanzhuang alimentaient un gigantesque lac.
La Cour venait souvent s'y établir peu après les célébrations du Nouvel An. Certes, elle choisissait Chengde pour les mois les plus chauds, mais elle regagnait habituellement les Palais d'Eté proches de la capitale à l'automne. Ces palais sont aujourd'hui connus sous le nom du Yuanming Yuan et Yihe Yuan.

Le nom de Yuanming Yuan (que l'on traduit généralement par 'Jardin de la Clarté Parfaite') devint célèbre dans le monde entier évoquant, pour les Européens, des images empreintes d'exotisme. Les descriptions de ce jardin déclenchèrent la vogue des jardins 'chinois' en Occident. En effet, la première description détaillée d'un jardin chinois fut publiée à Paris en 1749 et extraite d'une lettre adressée le 1er novembre 1743 par le Père jésuite Jean-Denis Attiret à M. d'Assaut Paris. Le Père Attiret (1702-68) put fournir cette description dans la mesure où il était employé comme peintre à la Cour de l'Empereur Qianlong. Il collabora par la suite avec d'autres artistes missionnaires européens à l'élaboration des palais, dit Européens, de Yuanming Yuan. La lettre suscita un tel intérêt lors de sa publication en 1749 qu'elle fut traduite en anglais en 1752 par Joseph Spence (alias Sir Harry Beaumont). Le charme de cette description était tel que l'Europe se mit à concevoir de nombreux jardins moins structurés et que la mode des jardins 'à la chinoise' commença à se répandre.
L'élément du Yuanming Yuan qui impressionna le plus Attiret furent les cascades d'eau cristalline qui serpentaient parmi de petits vallons séparés par des collines. Leurs pentes étaient tapissées de fleurs et d'arbres qui paraissaient avoir poussé là naturellement, parmi les sentiers serpentant de grottes en pavillons. Il remarqua tout particulièrement les compositions de rochers en bordure des ruisseaux, "disposées avec un tel art que l'on pourrait croire qu'elles sont l'oeuvre de la Nature (4)."

Dès la dynastie Jin, au douzième siècle, l'Empereur Zhang Zong avait fait construire un pavillon de voyage impérial nommé 'Pavillon des Lotus', au pied de la Colline de la Source de Jade, au lieu dit de 'l'Arc-en-ciel enjambant la Source de Jade', l'une des célèbres Huit Grandes Vues de Yanjing (Pékin). Ce pavillon impérial y fut conservé durant les dynasties Yuan et Ming. Toutefois, le fameux jardin impérial situé à cet emplacement et connu sous le nom de Yuanming Yuan, fut l'oeuvre de trois grands empereurs de la dynastie Qing: Kangxi, Yongzheng et Qianlong. Chacun d'entre eux nourrissait une affection particulière pour la résidence impériale, dont ils développèrent certains aspects en s'impliquant personnellement. Sous l'Empereur Qianlong, le Yuanming Yuan fut agrandi et finit par couvrir quelques 320 hectares. Cependant l'initiative de sa construction, à une échelle plus modeste, revenait à son grand-père, l'Empereur Kangxi, à l'instigation duquel l'ancien pavillon de voyage impérial avait été rénové, et le 'Jardin du Coeur Pur' construit. En 1692, il était rebaptisé 'Jardin de la Tranquillité et de la Clarté'. En 1709, l'Empereur Kangxi supervisa la construction de neuf îles à travers le vaste lac situé dans la partie méridionale du parc. Ces îles devaient représenter les neuf provinces chinoises, conformément à la tradition qui voulait que les jardins impériaux forment un microcosme de l'empire.

L'Empereur Kangxi voulait que les jardins traduisent l'ambiance des grandes peintures de paysages autrefois célèbres en Chine. Le portail principal du palais portait une plaque gravée de l'inscription "Yuan Ming Yuan", dont les caractères avaient été calligraphiés par l'Empereur Kangxi en personne. L'Empereur Yongzheng (1723-35) poursuivit les travaux d'aménagement et d'agrandissement du site en 1725 dans le but d'en faire sa résidence principale. Ce fut sur ces lieux mêmes que, dix ans plus tard, qu'il fit une chute de cheval à laquelle il succomba.

Ayant passé une bonne partie de sa jeunesse dans ce jardin, l'Empereur Qianlong y était tout particulièrement attaché, de sorte que, tout au long de son règne, il n'eut de cesse de le transformer et d'y faire des ajouts. Sur le modèle de son grand-père qui louait déjà les beautés du Palais de Chengde, Qianlong composa des poèmes célébrant le Yuanming Yuan, rassemblés dans le Yuchi Yuanming Yuan shi ('Poèmes célébrant le Jardin Yuanming composés par l'empereur'). Il y passa beaucoup de temps et c'est à ce titre que le site peut être considéré comme l'une de ses résidences principales. Il y conduisait non seulement les affaires d'état, mais parvenait aussi à se détendre et à goûter aux plaisirs de l'art et de la littérature. Lors de ses six visites d'inspection dans le sud de la Chine, l'empereur fut impressionné par certains paysages naturels, mais également certains jardins, notamment ceux de la région du Jiangnan, Suzhou, Hangzhou et Yangzhou. Il ordonna aux peintres de la Cour de reproduire ces paysages qu'il tentait ensuite de recréer dans les jardins impériaux, introduisant parfois dans la richesse des paysages du nord cette délicate retenue caractérisant ceux du sud.

La partie orientale du domaine abritait le lac le plus étendu, le Fuhai ('la Mer du Bonheur'), sur lequel furent construites trois îles représentant les îles de Penglai shan, Fangzhang et Yingzhou, censées accueillir les âmes immortelles en mer de Chine orientale. C'était sur ce lac que se disputaient les courses de bâteaux-dragons, auxquelles assistaient l'Empereur Qianlong et sa mère. C'est également à cet endroit que l'Empereur Qianlong ordonna la construction de Changchun Yuan ('le Jardin de l'Eternel Printemps'), entre 1749 et 1751. L'empereur fit même ériger une petite ville artificielle avec des salons de thé, des échoppes et des auberges, dans lesquelles il feignait de déambuler parmi le menu peuple, de faire des emplettes et de boire du thé. Lorsque l'empereur souhaitait aller en "ville", les courtisans étaient réquisitionnés pour jouer les boutiquiers, colporteurs, et même les détrousseurs de poches, qui étaient arrêtés et jetés en prison. Nul n'était censé reconnaître l'empereur. Pourtant, ce qui caractérise le plus aujourd'hui le Yuanming Yuan, ce sont les Palais Européens, conçus pour l'Empereur Qianlong par des missionnaires jésuites européens.
Le rôle des missionnaires jésuites européens dans l'un des chantiers les plus spectaculaires de la dynastie Qing -la construction des Palais Européens dans le Yuanming Yuan- constitue un intéressant sujet d'études. Selon les correspondances jésuites qui nous sont parvenues, en 1747, l'Empereur Qianlong "après avoir vu une fontaine en peinture, demanda au Frère Castiglione [un artiste jésuite milanais travaillant à la Cour] de lui en expliquer le principe, et s'il y avait un Européen à la Cour qui serait capable de lui construire pareil ouvrage ... [Frère Benoist] se chargeait de ces travaux, et fut donc immédiatement présenté à Sa Majesté comme étant capable d'exécuter cette tâche si des ouvriers étaient mis à sa disposition, de sorte qu'il put leur enseigner l'art de construire une shuifa ou fontaine (5)". Le Père jésuite français Michel Benoist (1715-74) était avant tout mathématicien et astronome, mais il avait également été initié à la mécanique des fluides. Il fut donc capable de construire une fontaine pour l'empereur, qui en fut tellement satisfait, qu'il décida de construire un palais de style européen dans le but premier de lui fournir un cadre. Ce fut ainsi que les Xiyanglou (les Palais Européens) furent érigés et que le Frère Benoist passa le plus clair des vingt-cinq années suivantes à concevoir toutes sortes de jeux d'eau pour les décorer. Ils occupaient une portion de terrain en T, dans le nord-est du Yuanming Yuan.

Ce fut toutefois au Frère Giuseppe Castiglione (1688-1766) que s'adressa l'empereur pour concevoir avec Benoist les plans des nouveaux palais, Castiglione requérant, quant à lui, la contribution des Frères Jean-Denis Attiret et Ignatius Sichelbart (1708-80) qui se chargèrent de dessiner les plans et élévations, ainsi que la décoration intérieure. Le botaniste français, Père Pierre d'Incarville (1706-57), et l'horloger et ingénieur-mécanicien français Gilles Thébault (1703-66) fabriquèrent des grilles en fer forgé d'après les dessins de Castiglione (6).
L'entreprise, toutefois, n'était pas entièrement européenne. La famille Lei, architectes à la Cour impériale depuis la fin du XVIIème siècle, fut également impliquée dans le projet, tout comme le furent des centaines d'artisans et ouvriers chinois. Les archives de la famille Lei se sont d'ailleurs avérées très utiles au comité créé il y a quelques années pour étudier le Yuanming Yuan.

Il faut rappeler que ces Palais Européens n'étaient pas destinés à servir de résidences impériales en tant que telles. Ils servaient de lieux de détente, de cadres où organiser des cérémonies et de concerts, et, surtout, de "vitrines" pour la vaste collection de l'Empereur Qianlong réunissant tableaux, horloges, instruments scientifiques, meubles et bibelots.
Ces bâtiments étaient en fait plus colorés et plus riches en éléments chinois que ne le laissent penser les gravures et photographies existantes en noir et blanc. Les méthodes de construction des structures alliaient quant à elles deux types de construction. Des piliers en bois soutenaient l'ossature, qui était ensuite recouverte de murs de brique grise, que l'on recouvrait à leur tour de plâtre peint en rouge, comme ce que l'on peut voir dans la Cité Interdite. Les constructions du Yuanming Yuan possédaient également des tuiles vernissées colorées, selon la tradition chinoise remontant aux palais et temples anciens, comme l'ont montrés les fragments découverts sur les lieux (7).

L'influence européenne est présente dans les éléments d'ornementation: colonnes, pilastres et entablements visibles sur la façade ainsi que les balustrades, les escaliers et fontaines, tous sculptés dans du marbre blanc et de la pierre grise du Hebei. Ces éléments décoratifs étaient d'inspiration européenne, mais furent adaptés au goût chinois. Ainsi, la décoration comportait des motifs rococo tels que des vasques de fleurs élaborées, mais aucun nus: seuls figuraient des motifs zoomorphes et floraux.

La partie européenne du Yuanming Yuan fut construite sur une longue période qui s'étend de 1747 à 1759, avec des modifications autour de 1768. La partie occidentale fut terminée en premier. Elle se composait du Xieqiqu ('le Palais du Plaisir Harmonieux'), du Xushuilou ('le Château d'eau qui alimente les Fontaines'), du Haiyantang ('le Palais de la Mer Calme', qui abritait les pompes hydrauliques destinées aux fontaines), du Yangquelong ('la Volière') et du Labyrinthe, simplement nommé Huayuan en chinois, ou jardin floral (dans la mesure où, contrairement à ses équivalents européens, il était fleuri, et que ses murs étaient faits de briques plutôt que de végétaux). L'élément central, et en fait la raison même de l'existence de tous ces bâtiments, en était la Grande Fontaine.

Néanmoins, ce fut un autre jeu d'eau qui lui vola la vedette. Le Père Benoist conçut une magnifique clepsydre flanquée de deux volées de marches conduisant au Haiyangtang. Deux haies composées des douze animaux du calendrier chinois -chacun représentant l'une des périodes de deux heures qui se succédent dans le cycle horaire chinois- se déployaient de part et d'autre d'un énorme coquillage de marbre.
Les statues étaient dotées de corps humains vêtus et sculptés dans la pierre, tandis que leurs têtes, coulées en bronze, reproduisaient avec minutie celles des animaux.
Ces têtes magnifiques, d'un réalisme remarquable, sont certainement l'oeuvre de Giuseppe Castiglione. En effet, on peut voir de nettes similitudes, par exemple entre la tête de singe en bronze de la clepsydre (vendue par Christie's Hong Kong en avril 2000) et la tête de celui figurant dans le tableau peint par Castiglione, Un singe blanc, conservé au Musée National du Palais de Taipei (8). Le style et les expressions des animaux sont remarquablement proches et la finesse du détail n'a en rien été perdue lors de la fonte du bronze. La tête du boeuf (vendue également par Christie's à Hong Kong en avril 2000) possède un très beau modelé réaliste influencé par le style européen. Ainsi, la finesse du détail de la robe et des longs poils ondulés situés entre les cornes, contrastent avec la surface lisse et les lignes plus anguleuses du boeuf en bronze chinois fondu sur ordre de l'Empereur Qianlong en 1755 pour les berges du lac Kunming. La tête de boeuf de la fontaine a de toute évidence été conçue par un peintre européen de grand talent. Son apparence plus douce, avec ses poils entre les cornes presque duveteux, est comparable à celle de l'animal représente sur cette gravure européenne dépeignant l'empereur chinois en train de creuser un sillon lors des rites annuels (9).
Les deux têtes d'animaux de cette vente reflètent le même souci de réalisme à l'européenne et révèlent un soin attentif porté au détail. Ainsi, le pelage lisse du rat est rehaussé, sur le museau, de petits trous prévus pour les moustaches et l'intérieur des oreilles est sculpté en forme de coquillage. Quant au lapin, s'il possède les mêmes petits trous sur le museau, son pelage du lapin est parcouru de mouvements plus irréguliers, ses yeux sont plus grands et brillent d'une lueur suppliante.
La clepsydre a été conçue de manière à ce que de l'eau jaillisse successivement de chaque tête par période de deux heures, et qu'à midi, elle coule simultanément des douze têtes.
Selon la tradition chinoise, chaque journée se composait de douze périodes de deux heures. Chacune de ces périodes de deux heures est nommée d'après l'un des Douze Rameaux Terrestres. La première période, nommée Heure de Zi, commence à 23 heures pour se terminer à une heure le lendemain matin. Les Douze Rameaux Terrestres sont représentés par douze animaux, dans l'ordre suivant: rat, boeuf, tigre, lapin, dragon, serpent, cheval, mouton, singe, coq, chien et porc.
Cette séquence d'animaux expliquée par des légendes est identique à celle que suivent les années. Selon l'histoire la plus populaire, les animaux se disputaient au sujet de leur ordre de passage, si bien que les dieux mirent au point une épreuve pour trancher cette délicate question. Les animaux se placèrent tous en rang le long de la berge d'une rivière, et on exigea qu'ils atteignent l'autre rive le plus vite possible. Le premier animal à l'atteindre serait le premier, et ainsi de suite. Le chat craignait l'eau, tandis que le boeuf souffrait d'une très mauvaise vue, alors le rat, plein de ruse, proposa de monter sur le dos du boeuf en compagnie du chat et de servir de guide. Le boeuf progressa sans faiblir, mais le rat, s'approchant subrepticement du chat, poussa ce dernier à l'eau. Au moment où le boeuf atteignait la rive, le rat sauta à terre et fut donc le premier à avoir traversé la rivière. Le porc paresseux arriva dernier tandis que le pauvre chat termina si loin derrière qu'il n'obtint même pas sa place au calendrier. C'est ainsi que le rat incarne la première période, Zi, de 23 h à 1 h, tandis que le lapin représente la quatrième, de 5h à 7 h.
La tête du porc fut vendue par Sotheby's à New York en 1987 tandis que la tête du tigre fut vendue par Sotheby's à Hong Kong en avril 2000. La te du cheval fut acquise par M. Stanley Ho en 2007, qui en fit don au gouvernement chinois. Ces têtes en bronze partagent toutes les mêmes caractéristiques tant sur le plan stylistique que sur celui de la finesse de la fonte.
Cette fontaine devait offrir un spectacle véritablement remarquable. Malheureusement, avant la fin du règne de Qianlong, la Cour sembla se désintéresser des Palais Européens du Yuanming Yuan, et ceux-ci furent laissés à l'abandon. En 1795, ordre fut donné d'arracher et de fondre les tuyaux en bronze des fontaines et de la clepsydre, sans nul doute afin de répondre aux besoins constants de la Chine en cuivre. Ainsi, avant même le sac du Yuanming Yuan par les troupes françaises et britanniques en 1860, les spectaculaires jeux d'eau de l'Empereur Qianlong avaient déjà été démantelés, et leurs tuyaux mis à profit.
Cependant, ces superbes têtes de bronze sont là pour attester du caprice d'un empereur et de la remarquable adresse des artistes missionnaires européens employés à son service.

(1). Extrait de l'introduction des Yuzhi Yuanming Yuan si shi jingshi (Poèmes impériaux sur les quarante points de vue du Yuanming Yuan). Traduits dans Brown Malone Carroll, History of the Peking Summer Palaces, Urbana, 1934, p.64.
(2). Barrow John, Travels in China, London, 1804, cité dans Wood F. et Tilley N., Oriental Gardens, London, pp. 83-4.
(3). ibid.
(4). Keswick Maggie, The Chinese Garden, Academy Editions, Londres, 1978.
(5). Lettres édifiantes et curieuses écrites des missions étrangères par quelques missionnaires de la Compagnie de Jésus, 1775, ed. Du Panthéon Littéraire, Paris, 1877, vol. IV, p. 226-227, cité par Durand Antoine dans "Restitution des palais européens du Yuanmingyuan", Arts Asiatiques, Vol. XLIII, 1988, pp. 123-33.
(6). Pirazzoli-t'Serstevens Michèle, "The Emperor Qianlong's European Palaces", Orientations, vol. 19, n.1, novembre 1988, p. 61.
(7). Pirazzoli-t'Serstevens Michèle, op. cit.
(8). Illustré par M. Beurdeley dans Peintres Jésuites en Chine au XVIIIe Siècle, Anthèse, Arcueil Cedex, 1997, p. 159.
(9). Gravure représentant la cérémonie du labour par Helman Isidore Stanislas, 1783-8, Collection du Ministre Henri-Léonard Bertin au Musée Guimet.

Divers_006

Etat actuel du Palais d'Eté

THE BRONZE HEADS FROM THE CHINESE EMPEROR'S SUMMER PALACE by Rosemary Scott, International Academic Director, Asian Art, Christie's

According to the Qianlong Emperor (1736-95), writing in the introduction to his
Imperial Poems on Forty Views of the Yuanming Yuan, garden retreats were essential for the moral health of a monarch:
'Every Emperor and ruler, when he has retired from audience, and has finished his public duties, must have a garden in which he may stroll, look around and relax his heart. If he has a suitable place for this it will refresh his mind and regulate his emotions, but if he has not, he will become engrossed in sensual pleasures and lose his will power.(1)'
There were three Summer Palaces associated with the great Qing emperors. One was some 150 miles north-east of Beijing, at Chengde. There, in 1703, the Kangxi Emperor (1662-1722) began the construction of a summer retreat, called
Bishushanzhuang ('Mountain Hamlet Far from the Heat') in a valley among the mountains which had a large natural lake. This walled park contained picturesque pavilions and halls, and later in the Qianlong reign, a specially built library to house one of the seven copies of the 36,000 volumes imperial collectanea, the Si ku quan shu ('Complete Treasury of the Four Storehouses'). The main function of the imperial retreat at Chengde was as a hunting ground and the park was kept well-stocked with game, particularly deer. It was at the Summer Palace at Chengde that Lord Macartney first met the Qianlong Emperor in 1792. John Barrow, who was Lord Macartney's secretary was enchanted by the place. He wrote:
'It is one of the finest forest scenes in the world; wild, woody, mountainous and rocky, abounding with stags and deer of different species and most of the other beasts of the chase, not dangerous to man.(2)'
Barrow also noted one of the important principles of Chinese garden design:
'One thing I was particularly struck with, I mean the happy choice of situation for ornamental buildings. From attention to this circumstance they have not the air of being crowded or disproportionate; they never intrude upon the eye; but whereever they appear they always show themselves to advantage, and aid, improve, and enliven the prospect.(3)'
The Summer Palace at Chengde, to where the court normally retreated from the sixth lunar month until Autumn, only fell from imperial favour after 1820 when the Jiaqing Emperor (1796-1820) was killed there, supposedly having been struck by a bolt of lightening.

The two other famous Summer Palaces of the Qing dynasty were nearer the capital, just north-west of Beijing at Haidian, in the Fragrant Hills (
Xiang Shan), specifically Jade Fountain Hill (Yuquan Shan) and Jar Hill (Weng Shan), where water from the springs of Wanquanzhuang formed a huge lake. The court would often move to this area soon after the New Year celebrations. Although they would spend the hottest months in Chengde, they would usually return to the Summer palaces nearer the capital in the Autumn. These palaces are known today as the Yuanming Yuan and the Yihe Yuan.

The name of the
Yuanming Yuan (usually translated into English as 'the Garden of Perfect Brightness') has become internationally famous and evokes images of exotic magnificence. The descriptions of this garden which found their way back to Europe fuelled a new fashion for 'Chinese' gardens in the West. Indeed, the first complete description of a Chinese garden was published in Paris in 1749 from a letter written on 1st November 1743 by a French Jesuit Father Jean-Denis Attiret to a M. d'Assaut in Paris. Father Attiret (1702-68) was able to write this description because he was employed as a painter at the Qianlong Emperor's Court, and was later to work with other European missionary artists on the so-called European Palaces in the Yuanming Yuan. The letter caused such interest when it was published in 1749, that in 1752 it was translated into english by Joseph Spence (alias Sir Harry Beaumont). The description was so beguiling that the design of a number of European gardens began to be less structured, and Chinese-style, gardens started to become fashionable.

What impressed Attiret most about the
Yuanming Yuan was the way that clear streams flowed through valleys, which were separated from each other by low hills. The hillsides were covered with flowers and trees, which looked as if they had grown there naturally, while paths wound through the landscape, leading to grottoes and pavilions. He particularly noted the ornamental rocks placed at the edge of the streams, which he described as: 'placed with so much Art that you would take it to be the Work of Nature.(4)'

As early as the Jin dynasty, in the 12th century, the Emperor Zhang Zong had built an imperial travelling lodge called the 'Hall of Lotuses' at the foot of Jade Spring Hill at a point known as 'Rainbow Floating over the Jade Spring', which was famous as one of the 'Eight Great Views of Yanjing' (Beijing). An imperial travelling lodge was maintained there in the Yuan and Ming dynasties. However, the imperial garden on the site, which became known as the
Yuanming Yuan, was the creation of the three great Qing dynasty emperors - Kangxi, Yongzheng and Qianlong. Each of them had a special affection for this imperial residence, taking personal interest in the development of certain areas. Under the Qianlong Emperor the Yuanming Yuan expanded to cover some 320 hectares, but its construction had been begun on a smaller scale by his grandfather, the Kangxi Emperor, who instigated the renovation of the earlier imperial travelling lodge and had the 'Pure Heart Garden' built on the site. In 1692 this was renamed the 'Garden of Tranquillity and Light'. In 1709, the Kangxi Emperor oversaw the construction of nine islands in the large lake in the southern part of the garden. These islands were intended to represent the nine provinces of China, and were in keeping with the tradition of Chinese imperial gardens as microcosms of the empire.

It was the Kangxi Emperor's intention that the gardens should invoke the mood of famous Chinese landscape paintings of former times. The main palace gate bore a plaque reading '
Yuan Ming Yuan' carved from characters written by the Kangxi Emperor himself. The Yongzheng Emperor (1723-35) further developed and enlarged the site in 1725 with a view to making it his principal residence, and indeed it was there, ten years later, that he suffered the riding accident that resulted in his death.

Having spent much of his youth in this garden, the Qianlong Emperor had a special love for it and throughout his reign constantly revised and added to it. Following his grandfather's example in relation to the Summer Palace at Chengde, Qianlong even composed poems on the
Yuanming Yuan, which were collated into the Yuchi Yuanming Yuan shi ('Poems on the Yuanming Garden composed by the Emperor'). He spent a good deal of time there, and it may thus be regarded as one of his main residences, where he not only conducted affairs of state but was able to relax and take pleasure in art and literature. During his six tours of inspection in southern China, the emperor was impressed with certain natural landscape and also certain gardens, particularly in the Jiangnan region, of Suzhou, Hangzhou and Yangzhou. He would order Court painters to paint the vistas and then he tried to re-create them in one of his imperial gardens, sometimes adding a little of the northern grandeur to the refined restraint typical of the south.

In the eastern part of the site was the largest lake,
Fuhai ('Sea of Fortune'), in which were built three islands representing the three islands, Penglai shan, Fangzhang, and Yingzhou, on which the Immortals were supposed to dwell in the Eastern Sea. It was on this lake that the Dragon-boat races were held, watched by the Qianlong Emperor and his mother. Also in the eastern part of the site the Qianlong Emperor ordered the construction of the Changchun Yuan ('Garden of Eternal Spring'), which took place between 1749 and 1751. The emperor even had a small, artificial town constructed in the garden, with teahouses, shops and restaurants, so that the emperor and his attendants could pretend to walk among the common people, make purchases and take tea. When the emperor wished to visit the 'town', courtiers were required to play the parts of merchants, peddlers and even pickpockets, who would be arrested and taken off to gaol, and no one was supposed to recognise the emperor. Nowadays, however, the most famous features of the Yuanming Yuan are the so-called 'European Palaces', which were designed for the Qianlong Emperor by European Jesuit missionaries.

The role of European Jesuit missionaries in one of the most spectacular building projects of the Qing dynasty - the construction of the European Palaces of the
Yuanming Yuan - provides an interesting subject of study. According to surviving Jesuit letters, in 1747 the Qianlong Emperor: 'after having seen a painting of a fountain, asked Brother Castiglione [a Milanese Jesuit artist at his court] for an explanation, and whether there was any European at Court who would be capable of constructing something similar... [Father Benoist] was in charge of such work, and thus immediately presented to His Majesty as being able to execute this task if workers by put at his disposal, so that he could instruct them on how to construct a shuifa or fountain'(5). The French Jesuit Father Michel Benoist (1715-74) was chiefly a mathematician and astronomer, but while in Europe he had also learned something of hydraulics. He was therefore able to build a model of a fountain for the emperor, which so delighted the latter that he decided to build a European style palace, essentially to provide a setting for it. This was how the Xiyanglou ('the European Palaces') came to be built, and Father Benoist then spent most of the next twenty-five years creating all kinds of decorative waterworks for them. They occupied a T-shaped section of land in the northeast part of the Yuanming Yuan.

It was, however, to Brother Giuseppe Castiglione (1688-1766) that the emperor turned to work with Benoist on the plans for the new palaces, and he in turn requested the help of Brother Jean-Denis Attiret and Brother Ignatius Sichelbart (1708-80), who undertook the drawing of the plans and elevations as well as those for the interior decoration. The French botanist Father Pierre d'Incarville (1706-57) and the French clockmaker and machine designer Brother Gilles Thébault (1703-66) made wrought iron railings from Castiglione's designs (6). It was not however a wholly European undertaking. The Lei family had been architects to the Imperial court since the late 17th century, and they too were involved in this project, as were hundreds of other Chinese craftsmen and labourers. The Lei family records have in fact proved very useful to the committee set up in recent years to study the
Yuanming Yuan.

It should be remembered that these European Palaces were not intended to be imperial residences, as such. They were used for relaxation, for the celebration festivals, for musical performances and essentially as 'display cases' for Emperor Qianlong's extensive collection of European art, clocks, scientific instruments, furniture and curios.
It is also worth noting that the buildings were in fact more colourful and had more Chinese elements than the existing black and white etchings and photographs suggest. The actual building methods of the structures combined two types of construction. Wooden pillars supported the framework, which was encased in grey brick walls, which were in turn covered with a red-painted plaster coating, similar to that seen in the Forbidden City. The
Yuanming Yuan buildings also had glazed tiles with coloured glazes in the Chinese tradition that harked back to earlier palace and temple buildings, as has been shown by the remains found at the site (7).

The Western-style ornamentation is to be seen in the columns, pilasters and entablatures, which decorate the exteriors of the buildings, as well as the balustrades and staircases. These features were all carved from Hebei grey stone and white marble. These decorative elements as well as the decoration on the fountains were European in concept, but with modifications for Chinese taste. For instance while the decoration had rococo elements such as ornate vases of flowers, no nude figures were included - only animals and floral designs.

This European part of the
Yuanming Yuan was built over a considerable period of time between 1747 and 1759, with some additions being made around 1768. The first section to be finished was the western end. This comprised the Xieqiqu ('Palace of Delights in Harmony'), the Xushuilou ('water tower, supplying water to the fountains'), the Haiyantang ('Palace of Calm Sea', which housed the hydraulic pumps for the fountains), the Yangquelong (aviary) and the Maze, which in Chinese is merely called Huayuan or 'Flower Garden'. This is because, unlike its European counterparts it did have flowers, but the walls were made of brick, rather than plants. The centrepiece, and indeed the whole reasons for all these buildings, was the Great Fountain.

Even more famous, however, is another water feature. Father Benoist designed a magnificent clepsydra flanked on either side by the steps which ascended to the
Haiyangtang. In the centre was a huge marble shell, but on either side were seated the twelve Chinese calendrical animals, each representing a two-hour period in the Chinese horary cycle. The bodies were human, clothed and carved in stone, but the bronze heads were cast as meticulously formed animals. These superb and remarkably realistic heads were almost certainly designed by Giuseppe Castiglione. Clear similarities can be seen, for example, between the style of the bronze head of the monkey from the clepsydra (sold by Christie's Hong Kong in April 2000) and that of the animal in the painting A White Monkey by Castiglione and now in the National Palace Museum in Taipei (8). The treatment and even the expression of the faces are remarkably close, and none of the fine detail has been lost in the bronze casting. The ox head, which was also sold by Christie's Hong Kong in April 2000, is also beautifully and meticulously rendered in a style that is wholly European in concept. The fine details of the hide and the longer, curling hair between and horns, for instance can be contrasted with the smooth surface and slight angularity of the Chinese bronze ox that was cast on the orders of the Qianlong emperor in AD 1755 to sit beside Kunming Lake. The ox's head for the fountain was obviously designed by a European painter of great talent, and its softer appearance with almost fluffy hair between the horns can be compared with that shown in a European engraving showing the Chinese Emperor ploughing a furrow as part of the Annual Rituals (9). The two animals in the current sale display the same features of European realism and fine attention to detail. The sleek fur of the rat is well depicted, while there are holes around the nose for its whiskers, and the interior of its ears are shaped like a shell. In contrast the fur on the rabbit is depicted as more variable in direction, and its eyes are large and appealing. It too has holes for whiskers.

The clepsydra was designed so that each head spouted water for its appropriate two-hour period and all twelve heads spouted water at noon. Traditionally in China, each day was divided into twelve two-hour periods. Each of these two-hour periods bears the name of one of the Twelve Earthly Branches. The first period, known as the Hour of
Zi, begins at 11 pm of the previous day and ends at 1 am. The Twelve Earthly Branches are represented by twelve animals, in the order: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, and boar. This is the same as the sequence for the animal representing years, and there are legends explaining the sequence in which the animals occur. According to the most popular story, the animals all fought over the order of precedence and so the Gods devised a contest to decide this important question. The animals all had to line up along the bank of a river and were required to reach the other side as speedily as possible. The first animal to reach the far bank would go first, and so on. The cat was afraid of water, while the ox had very poor eyesight, so the crafty rat suggested that he and the cat ride on the ox's back and guide him across. The ox ploughed steadily across the river, but the rat crept up behind the cat and pushed him off the ox's back into the water. Just as the ox reached the shore, the rat jumped off his back and so was the first to cross the river. The lazy boar finished twelfth, while the poor cat was too late to win a place in the calendar at all. Thus the rat represents the first, Zi, period from 11 pm to 1 am, while the rabbit represents the fourth, Mao, period from 5 am to 7 am.

The head of the boar was sold by Sotheby's New York in 1987, while the head of the tiger was sold by Sotheby's Hong Kong in April 2000. The head of the horse was purchased by Mr. Stanley Ho in 2007 and donated to the Chinese Government. All these bronze heads share the same stylistic features and exquisite casting as the rat, rabbit, monkey and ox, and the fountain must have been a truly remarkable sight. Sadly, by the end of the Qianlong reign the court seems to have lost interest in the European Palaces of the
Yuanming Yuan, and they had fallen into disrepair. In 1795 the order was given to strip out and melt down the bronze pipe-work for the fountains and clepsydra, no doubt in order to augment China's constant requirement for copper. Thus, even before the storming of the Yuanming Yuan by French and British troops in 1860, the Qianlong Emperor's spectacular water features had already been dismantled and their pipe-work disbursed. These superb bronze heads, however, remain as a testament to an emperor's caprice and the remarkable skill of the European missionary artists who worked for him.

(1). From the introduction to
Yuzhi Yuanming yuan si shi jingshi (Imperial poems on the forty views of the Yuanming yuan). Translated in Carroll Brown Malone's History of the Peking Summer Palaces, Urbana, 1934, p. 64.
(2). John Barrow,
Travels in China, London, 1804, quoted in F. Wood and N. Tilley, Oriental Gardens, London, pp. 83-4.
(3).
ibid.
(4). Maggie Keswick,
The Chinese Garden, Academy Editions, London, 1978.
(5).
Lettres édifiantes et curieuses, écrites des missions étrangères par quelques missionaires de la compagnie de Jésus, 1775, ed. Du Panthéon Littéraire, Paris 1877, vol. IV, p. 226-227, quoted by Antoine Durand in 'Restitution des palais européens du Yuanmingyuan', Arts Asiatiques, Vol. XLIII, 1988, pp. 123-33.
(6). Michèle Pirazzoli-t'Serstevens, 'The Emperor Qianlong's European Palaces',
Orientations, vol. 19, no. 11, November 1988, p. 61.
(7). Michèle Pirazzoli-t'Serstevens,
op. cit.
(8). Illustrated by M. Beurdeley in
Peintres Jésuites en Chine au XVIIIe Siècle, Anthèse, Arcueil Cedex, 1997, p. 159.
(9). Engraving of the Ploughing Ceremony by Isidore Stanislas Helman, 1783-8, from the collection of Minister Henri-Léonard Bertin in the Musée Guimet.